• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overheating i7-2600k on launch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lykranian

So I've been using this computer without heating issues for over a year. I boot it up after a day of no use and the screen says overheating processor at launch. I go into the BIOS and it says it's 97, 98 degrees C. So either I shut it down or it goes off itself.

I have an H70 (which I plan on replacing cause I've been getting not-so-good temps for a while), an Asus Sabertooth P67, a Corsair GS800, and SLI 570s.

I have been using an assist fan on the Sabertooth for a while now, and it was fine. It started to rattle so I ordered a new little fan online. The reviews said it worked fine on my mobo, so I went ahead and installed it. It's of course a 12V fan, but it's .15A instead of .09 on the other one. Could that have fried my mobo somehow?

I also reset the CMOS/BIOS by using the little jumper plug, just in case the voltage was raised somehow. This undid the overclock someone did for me, but I don't mind.

I know you will all say that I need to reseat the CPU cooler, which I will, but could it have gone from 45 degrees idle to 97 degrees in BIOS over a period of 48 hours? Even after a year of working fine with the same paste on it and everything?

Thanks for the help, if you reply. I'm at a loss. :chair:

Thanks for the reply. That hadn't even crossed my mind! Seems quite logical.

What do you suggest I replace it with? Would a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus be fine for a stock 2600k?

Also, what thermal paste do you suggest to use?

Sandy Bridge CPUs run way cool. I've seen 4.3-4.5GHz done on a Hyper212+.

If you're buying some extra to have around, Prolimatech PK-1 or Arctic Cooling MX-4. The stuff that comes with the 212+ is probably fine though.

Do you think they'd have the cooler and paste you recommended at Fry's? I don't mind a little extra in cost to get rid of shipping time waits.

Also, could it have damaged my processor, having it run at 98 C for half a minute, a couple separate times?

I just booted it after a night of having it off, and I didn't get the temp warning from the mobo, so I thought it was all good. But CoreTemp or whatever app I have said it was in the 80's, rising to the 90's, so I shut it down.

I FIXED IT!

The pump plug somehow was disconnected when I was moving HDD cages around. IT WORKS NOW!

Idle temps are back to 40, 50 degrees C.

Thanks for your help, man.

Would you still recommend another cooler over the H70?

Only air coolers that perform better than the H70 are the huge dual-stack towers, like the NH-D14 or Phantek coolers, and of course the H80 and H100. Especially with a 2600K, not really worth upgrading from. The H70 should you fine. :)

Back