• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robi

Hey guys,
I just registered on this forum while I was searching for some threads about cooling. Maybe I should just make one about this.

You see, I bought a new monitor, which is Samsung Syncmaster s22b300. Before that I had T220. While playing League of Legends, my pc keeps shutting down... My personal record was 3 times in a game, started shutting down when new monitor came aboard. I think it is overheating, I find it very hot after the shut down, but quickly it becomes relatively cold and usable again. Can this monitor affect in overheating? It's on 1920x1200.

I am not very much into hardware (or software), so please help. If it is affecting I have a solution, if it's not maybe we can solve it together

My other specs are:
(attachments)
Yup, from xFire

Maybe this helps:
(attachments)
Maximum 105°C while playing LoL
65°C while typing this

Thanks in advance, I hope you can help!

Attachments

• CoreTemp-Scr.png
    CoreTemp-Scr.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 71
  • rig.png
    rig.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I cant see the pictures from the office as they are hosted externally... that said, 105C temps on your CPU or GPU are way too hot and would cause throttling or shutdown.

Either host the pics internally, or type what got to 105C while playing... :)

OCFinsertimages.png

The monitor would not effect the temperature. Your temps are pretty high even while idling. You might want to check and see if your fans, particularly the cpu fan is running at the proper speed. You can use hardware monitor for this. Also, when is the last time you changed the thermal paste on your cpu die? The brief web searches I did on LoL suggested it is more GPU intensive than CPU, so you should not be suffering temperatures like these during play.

I cant see the pictures from the office as they are hosted externally... that said, 105C temps on your CPU or GPU are way too hot and would cause throttling or shutdown.

Either host the pics internally, or type what got to 105C while playing... :)
I've put them in an attachment, can you see them now?

The monitor would not effect the temperature. Your temps are pretty high even while idling. You might want to check and see if your fans, particularly the cpu fan is running at the proper speed. You can use hardware monitor for this. Also, when is the last time you changed the thermal paste on your cpu die? The brief web searches I did on LoL suggested it is more GPU intensive than CPU, so you should not be suffering temperatures like these during play.

I can feel the fans are running, I'll check that hardrware monitor..
I've changed the thermal paste on my CPU, I think, before about 5 months, also I got a new PSU lately

EDIT: there's an pic from OHM

Attachments

• ohm.png
    ohm.png
    45 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
So its your CPU then.. that is WAY too hot for that CPU. Your heatsink, Im guessing isnt mounted properly.

Of course... yes. Clean off the paste you have replace with new, and remount the heatsink. If its dusty, clean it off.

There, replaced the paste, cleaned it a bit.. New results!

ps. sry for the double post

edit: ill try it with lol running later, g2g now

Attachments

• CoreTemp-Scr2.png
    CoreTemp-Scr2.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 61
  • ohm2.png
    ohm2.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 62
And here's the ss while ingame

40°C difference only :)

Thanks, it didnt shut down even once :p

Attachments

• CoreTemp-Scr3.png
    CoreTemp-Scr3.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 53
And here's the ss while ingame

40°C difference only :)

Thanks, it didnt shut down even once :p
Robi, those temps are still a bit too high. Are you running the CPU at stock settings or overclocked? What case do you have it in, is it possible that you can add fans to the case? You may want to try and run it with the side panel off and see if the temps drop some more. If they do you need more air flow in the case.

Robi, those temps are still a bit too high. Are you running the CPU at stock settings or overclocked? What case do you have it in, is it possible that you can add fans to the case? You may want to try and run it with the side panel off and see if the temps drop some more. If they do you need more air flow in the case.

Still high, huh?
It's not overclocked, stock at 2.6GHz, I have an aMaze 502 and i was thinking about an extra fan, you know, the summer is coming, high air temperatures, blah. Sure, i'll check the temps without the side panel and post the results here, but tomorrow :)

EDIT: can you recommend some fans? which are good and will fit to my case?

Robi, for 24/7 usage we generally try to keep those amd chips below 60c, it's good that the computer isn't shutting down now but, the long term effects of running that high may kill the processor. As far as your case goes I can't seem to find it online to see what the airflow in it would be like, but test it with the door off and see. Also if you have the case inside of a cubby such as in a desk you may want to remove it. I found out the hard way that this increases your temps way too much.

Robi, for 24/7 usage we generally try to keep those amd chips below 60c, it's good that the computer isn't shutting down now but, the long term effects of running that high may kill the processor. As far as your case goes I can't seem to find it online to see what the airflow in it would be like, but test it with the door off and see. Also if you have the case inside of a cubby such as in a desk you may want to remove it. I found out the hard way that this increases your temps way too much.

I'll try to lower the temp little bit more, I'll buy a fan, they aren't so expensive 10$ and less.. Yea my case is bounded on 2 sides.. Back and right side(looking at front side)

Our friend EarthDog posted a link of my case, just I have different side panel :eek:
(Turn your head to the left to see it right, I took a picture under the light so you can see the holes)

EDIT again: There is a shop in my town, they have coolermaster fans in stock, are they okay?

Attachments

• IMG_0230[1].JPG
    IMG_0230[1].JPG
    687.2 KB · Views: 52
Is this a new build or did you buy this from somebody? Because, I run something similar but it's a few years old now. I run an X2 255 and idle at 30c and top out at about 42-45c under full load. If I can remember I had the same problem with the stock hsf so you'll need to replace that. Also, I only run 2 fans which is 1 x 120mm intake in the front and 1 x 120mm exhaust in the back adding more fans doesn't really solve overheating. And, Make sure the cables are tidy and not blocking airflow this makes a huge impact on system temps. Anyways, Hope this helps a little.

Back