• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oxidation in radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiklop32

Registered
Hello,

I have found some threads about this but I am not sure about the result.

I find oxidation in my rad. It is alphacool. I flush it ( also with vinegar ), try mechanical cleaning what I was able to reach. However this is what can get best.
Is it OK to run it in system or not?

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC_0195.JPG
    DSC_0195.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 815
  • DSC_0197.JPG
    DSC_0197.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 747
  • DSC_0199.JPG
    DSC_0199.JPG
    426.5 KB · Views: 763
  • DSC_0200.JPG
    DSC_0200.JPG
    571 KB · Views: 763
  • DSC_0202.JPG
    DSC_0202.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 721
That looks clean, the grey stuff is the soldering they use to join the parts. it is a tin/lead based product and it will stay grey like that.

Thx, but it is not solder :)

It is green actually, flash is doing it little bit grey, it was the same color as statue of liberty when I started to clean it.
After fue rans with vinegar it started to be like jelly so I was able to get some of it out but this is what i left in.

I did it. I have read many manuals how to clean, what to use. But this holds hold like hell...

The bit of green you see is a bit of leaching from the copper. No matter what liquid you use (within reason) will show a bit of leaching. The later pictures show copper that has oxidized a bit. It's not like 'rust' or build up. It's okay. The rad looks perfectly clean and normal.

I remember the first time I tore down my system and cleaned it. The CPU block wasn't shiny on the inside, the fittings had dulled a bit on the inside, and the rad looked just like yours. I freaked like you. It's normal to freak out the first time. Like a car, it shows wear and tear but works perfectly fine.

Don't clean with pure vinegar or leave even a 50/50 solution in the rads for a long time, it etches the copper too much, can make for green water.

- - - Updated - - -

And you never mentioned what coolant etc you are using.

Thx, so I will use it. It is not possible to get the sun now in middle europe :)

I am using Mayhems X1 100ml Concentrate - Red + destiled water acc. to spec.

It's been suggested NOT to use colored fluids/dyes on account there are countless horror stories all over the net of the fluid(s) breaking down and clogging up radiators, pumps and blocks. If you want color, use colored tubing instead. Use Distilled water and a biocide.

If you choose/decide to use the premixed fluid(s), be aware of the issues/dangers.

In any event, good luck!

Thank you, I will be cleaning this loop in December so I will see what has left here. But during last work on the loop i did not noticed any residue of colour on parts. I hope it will be fine.

It's my suggestion to fill the rad with hot almost boiling water about 80% full and shake the rad, dance dance dance. Once your arms are tired then drain the rad into a white or glass bowl. Inspect water. Repeat if needed. You don't need to use distilled etc water to do this, just tap water from the sink.

I highly suggest opening the CPU block and checking for clogs. Dyes are particles. They like to congregate in eddies, little slow spots. In a CPU block there are big pressure changes and lots of eddies, this will cause build up of those particles. Do the same for the pump if easy to do.

Many premixes are not full of stupid stuff. They can be used. GTX will chime in. I used distilled and PHT Nuke and silver for many years. Now, I'd use a premix, times change.

I might give Premix a shot when I do my next maintenance flush and re-tube. I might be adding a block to my vid card along with another rad.

Using just distilled and silver will create more of what you're seeing in that rad, oxidization and can be a disaster with EK's gear. I got sick and tired of cleaning oxidization and have went with CLEAR premix coolant from a reputed H20 company. I use Aquacomputer's DP Ultra clear fluid. Haven't had any issues so far and they do need an annual drain and refill as that's how long their fluid is good for.

You only need a tear down if you're seeing your loop deteriorate and things swimming in the liquid, otherwise you're good to go. Just inspect the loop here and there like if you were to have a fish tank, regardless on what you use.

Last edited:
So it is not still solved if it is safe to use dye :) . Anyway with next cleaning i will try to go with EK blood red. Any problems about it?

You can use a mix of water + distilled vinegar to remove some of that green film.. Did it on mine. The green film is called copper chloride and I suppose it is created when they flush the rads after the manufacturing procedure?

He did use vinegar already. Don't know if it was 100%. Don't need to use distilled for that procedure, just a good distilled rinse with almost boiling distilled before using.

Back