• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oxidation in radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello,

yeah I did use vinegar, 10% also 100% and when I get mad about it i used 33-40% H2SO4. It has changed it to lets say jelly and I was able to get some of this out. But this is what has left and it is not reacting with anything. So I believe that it should not spread to my loop as "strong" things were unable to get it out? And oxidaction will be on every copper part in the end?

I'd say the rad is fine. Not much more you can do. I'd suggest opening the CPU block and GPU block if you have a GPU block. And please, please go with a liquid that is clear, no UV etc. Please ask GTX what he uses, and use it. He's a smart guy and well informed.

I will open CPU block in December so I will see. Cant open GPU as I am running 1080Ti Poseidon.
For now there is no problem about this red and still I hope that Mayhems is not that bad that it can ruin the system.
I have already hard tubing done so re-do it with colored tube is not an option anymore

So I opened it up. It is pump from fractal design kelvin ( have D5 and phanteks CPU block now )

And this is how it looks like. Pump is cca. 1 year old and 3 months it run with red. So is it bad?

IMG_20171016_210034.jpg

try a 1:4-5 HCl tot H2SO4 (use the highest concentration available). I used to work at a waste water treatement plant were we used this exact chemical (well we also added a biocide but thats hardly needed here) to clean our filterpresses (remove calcic residu and remove bacterial growth) and preserve metal components. We ran this chemical for like half a hour to cleanse our filters and our installation in general after which which we treat it with water (this was industrial grade mind you so with househould grades I advice something like a hour then flush it with distilled water till the water is clear)
when this chemical reacts to copper it will react to coppersulfate (CuSO4) which acts as a protective layer in your rad. Don't know how this will react with your pump/blocks though.

Back