• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 3.0ghz 800fsb vs p4 3.06ghz HT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roYal

Which one is better? I doubt i'll overclock, but which is better at stock?

The pentium 4 3.0ghz with the 800fsb
or
The pentium 4 3.06ghz with HT technology?

Thanks.

im pretty sure the 800bus chips are HT also so i would say the 800bus would spank the 133fsb chip.

AZN

Some idiot over at the other forum ; you know the one everyone makes fun of; started a thread saying 800fsb chips suck. I think he mentions the higher fsb is only a myth and won't do anything better than the 533fsb chips..

that's funny. There was some guy at another forum also saying that people don't overclock using fsb on pentium 4's. I'm like, you're a moron man.

speaking of morons, i have a question....

can someone elucidate the new fsb hierarchy. i find it totally confusing. i got the whole ddr thing, multiply times two, but that was independent of the cpu. now you've got 400, 533, 800 chips?

400= 100x4
533=133*4
800=200*4
Is that want you wanted??

A 3.0 800FSB chip will "spank" a 3.06 HT CPU. But... The HT 3.06 will win in muti-tasking. I was under the impression that the new 800FSB chips will all have HT, so I don't think the discussion truely matters that much.

so the chip for the 800 system has a 200mhz bus? far out. if i plug it in and my mother board won't go to 200fsb will it underclock, or not work at all, or what?

In most cases, it will underclock it and it will run. But I think the 800FSB chips are supposed to have a new socket version, so you may need an adapter.

I feel as if i'm the only one truely waiting for these....

The socket versions are not changing until the later prescotts...further more the springdale boards will support the 800mhz FSB northwoods as well as the first prescotts.

All 800mhz chips will have HT

If your not going to overclock the 800mhz chips will rock, but you might not be able to overclock the 800mhz chips much for a while because of ram limitations. (at least thats the only one i've seen so far)

Today (later..monday) intel is letting us see benchmarks...i'm just about ready!

Burning Phoenix said:
Some idiot over at the other forum ; you know the one everyone makes fun of; started a thread saying 800fsb chips suck. I think he mentions the higher fsb is only a myth and won't do anything better than the 533fsb chips..

DUH! It is minimal. Read the benches! The 800FSB performs WORSE (3.0 vs 3.06....66mhz difference) in some stuff. Now that TOM has released his benches we finally see something other than the tiny differences with an outright whipping in some of the benches. However, it does lag behind in others. :mad: I see the main advantage to this is HT for everyone. With more adoption of it and apps that utilize it we will see better performance overall. And my post at the [H] was pretty much on the money. If you already have a 3.06 there is no point to get something else. If you have a 2.4 533 it may be worth it though. The only problem is getting a badass mobo to get over a 1ghz FSB. 12 x 250 = 3000Mhz. Soltek claims to have boards that will reach a 1200FSB but a "golden sample" is probably what the picked.

I'm already running my [email protected] so I probably won't upgrade unless we see some sweet *** overclockers at 3.2Ghz or more. Now that I can't resist.

As for the FSB versus Ghz argument I'm still not sure. I have a (hate to mention it HERE of all places...lol) 1700+ at 2.13Ghz. Whether I run it at 333 or 400 FSB it seems to perform exactly the same. That is with a different platform though.

I notice a HUGE difference in a P4/Celeron P4 going from a 400FSB to a 533FSB. The system is much snappier and responds much better.

I guess I'm on a rant here....lol. I say if you are ready to upgrade by all means go with the 800FSB and you can't go wrong. But if you're already sitting at 3ghz, there really isn't any reason to upgrade unless you're a hardcore computer freak. Prescott seems to be where the real performance is at. With 1MB L2 and an 800FSB its going to rip ****. I will definitely be upgrading at that time (Oct-Dec of this year)!

My mistake, I forgot the Northwoods were going to be 800FSB first and then prescotts were coming out.

But I still feel if you stick an 800FSB northwood into you mobo, you CAN run it underclocked, or if your lucky at stock speed. All that should be needed is a bios update.

I just finished reading Tom's review, and I think the 800FSB P4 shows some good gains. The best comparison I could see, would be that you will get the same proformance boost as if you were upgrading from a 2.53 compared to a 3.06 .

I think I counted the 3.0 loosing 8 or nine times to the 3.06. This is probably due to the fact that the apps are not memory intensive, and the extra 66Mhz helped the 3.06.

It looks to me that the 3.0 is going to be a very good proformer, and especially with the multiple Vcore's. Finding the a good overclocker may have gotton much easier.

batotman said:

DUH! It is minimal. Read the benches! The 800FSB performs WORSE (3.0 vs 3.06....66mhz difference) in some stuff. Now that TOM has released his benches we finally see something other than the tiny differences with an outright whipping in some of the benches. However, it does lag behind in others. :mad: I see the main advantage to this is HT for everyone. With more adoption of it and apps that utilize it we will see better performance overall. And my post at the [H] was pretty much on the money. If you already have a 3.06 there is no point to get something else. If you have a 2.4 533 it may be worth it though. The only problem is getting a badass mobo to get over a 1ghz FSB. 12 x 250 = 3000Mhz. Soltek claims to have boards that will reach a 1200FSB but a "golden sample" is probably what the picked.

I'm already running my [email protected] so I probably won't upgrade unless we see some sweet *** overclockers at 3.2Ghz or more. Now that I can't resist.

As for the FSB versus Ghz argument I'm still not sure. I have a (hate to mention it HERE of all places...lol) 1700+ at 2.13Ghz. Whether I run it at 333 or 400 FSB it seems to perform exactly the same. That is with a different platform though.

I notice a HUGE difference in a P4/Celeron P4 going from a 400FSB to a 533FSB. The system is much snappier and responds much better.

I guess I'm on a rant here....lol. I say if you are ready to upgrade by all means go with the 800FSB and you can't go wrong. But if you're already sitting at 3ghz, there really isn't any reason to upgrade unless you're a hardcore computer freak. Prescott seems to be where the real performance is at. With 1MB L2 and an 800FSB its going to rip ****. I will definitely be upgrading at that time (Oct-Dec of this year)!

bandwith is much more important with an intel then AMD....
I too find that amd doesn't need bandwith that much to work well.
(yet we still lower the multi and bump up the fsb to OC them)

you'll see that the 3.0 800mhz chips will kill the 3.06 533mhz in some tests. and only fall behind when the test is only cpu intensive.

the 3.0 is a 15 multi
yet
the 3.06 is a 23 multi

for get HT for a moment...

when not OCed, the 3.0 with full bandwith, will do very well with bandwith intensive progies like any Q3A engine game, photoshop, and so on....
maybe by 20%....and that is with a 15 multi !!!!!!!!:eek:

intel....it's all about the bandwith.

mica

micamica1217 said:

bandwith is much more important with an intel then AMD....
I too find that amd doesn't need bandwith that much to work well.
(yet we still lower the multi and bump up the fsb to OC them)

you'll see that the 3.0 800mhz chips will kill the 3.06 533mhz in some tests. and only fall behind when the test is only cpu intensive.

the 3.0 is a 15 multi
yet
the 3.06 is a 23 multi

for get HT for a moment...

when not OCed, the 3.0 with full bandwith, will do very well with bandwith intensive progies like any Q3A engine game, photoshop, and so on....
maybe by 20%....and that is with a 15 multi !!!!!!!!:eek:

intel....it's all about the bandwith.

mica

I'm not sure I totally agree. Granite Bay was widely looked over for the 845PE despite it having dual channel and lots of bandwidth. Its price was/is too high and gains were minor. I think we are looking towards a major performance breakthrough with prescott. Not only will it have 1MB of L2, it will be more mature, faster, and absolutely put the Northwood in the dust. Food for thought. I'm waiting awhile to see where this goes.

cack01 said:
400= 100x4
533=133*4
800=200*4
Is that want you wanted??

A 3.0 800FSB chip will "spank" a 3.06 HT CPU. But... The HT 3.06 will win in muti-tasking. I was under the impression that the new 800FSB chips will all have HT, so I don't think the discussion truely matters that much.
you said that right.;) its plain and simple.

Back