• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 EE & VapoChill LS 775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danimbk

Registered
Ok, just ordered a Vapochill LS socket 775 for my P4 EE 3.73GHZ. Currenltly I have it watercooled and OC'd to 4.2GHZ ~ 300FSB * 14 - 1.525V. Just want to know what I should expect with the Vapochill?? Their website says they got a FSB of like 386. So what should I shoot for?? I am going to try to reach the 5GHZ mark. Is that too high or not high enough?? Also what voltage should I be at?? I understand when the chip is subzero it responds better to lower voltage - is that true?? I have Corsair XMS 1GHZ ram so good in that department. THANKS

Is there something wrong with a Vapochill?? You sound like its the cheap one or something???

No he just means that it, being a single stage phase change unit, wont provide enough cooling to get your core to 5GHZ. Possibly if you remove the IHS I can see you coming close but breaking it, thats another story.

The website says -25C under load and -40 under idle. How much cooler would I need. That seems excessive as it is. To be getting 4.3 with watercooling and temps of 60C, I find it hard to believe I will only get another .2 out of an 80C drop in temps?? Am I missing something??

No the vapo is a very very good product i wish i had one, but any single stage phase change is not going to have the power to remove that much heat from at P4 EE. You would honestly be lucky to get 5ghz even on a -70 dual casscade set up. For a comercial product the VS is well worth the $$ and if i could afford one or two belive me i would have one.

danimbk said:
The website says -25C under load and -40 under idle. How much cooler would I need. That seems excessive as it is. To be getting 4.3 with watercooling and temps of 60C, I find it hard to believe I will only get another .2 out of an 80C drop in temps?? Am I missing something??

What your missing is the fact that these chips do have a celing. Most do not hit 5ghz. You can keep increasing the voltage but at some point it just makes no difference. There comes a point where the electrons just overcome the insulator and leakage no matter how cold you keep it, simply prevents and further speed increases.

Also -25c under load is great and will let you run stable at 4.8 but to keep a furnace like the P4 EE cool you really need -50 under load or better. for that you need a casscaded system.

Thanks,
So what voltage should I be around? 1.6somthin or 1.7somethin?? Thanks

i do like to live on the edge :) i tend to push my voltages more than most people would feel safe at... so take my suggestion with that in mind.

what core is your ee based on? I had a 660 i ran over 5.1ghz 24/7 before on a stock vapochill ls i could bench up to 5.39 and have seen fugger run his ee over 5ghz on ss before.

from my experience with my vapo ls and prescotts you could expect to see around 400-600mhz of extra stable overclock from the vapo ls course each cpu is diffrent and will give diffrent results. the biggest problem i ran into with my intel phase runs was the heat from the cpu would overpower the unit if you gave it too much volts. youd quickly go into the positive degrees on the cpu under a load and with as little (i say this refering to vcore on phase) as 1.7v that and they start to draw a ton of power on the 12v rail and if you have a power hungry videocard it can kill a powerful 12v rail. i was seriously taxing the 12v rail on my ocz powerstream between the 660 and 6800gt and couldnt even hold anywhere near the overclock when i laughably tried out a 600w powerstream thing coulddnt even boot my rig... :rolleyes: which i half expected from its wimpy 12v rails ratings though)

This Vapochill is AC - so as far as I know it plugs into the wall. Plus with my PSU I doubt I will run into power problems. That 660 you had at 5.1 is a lesser CPU than mine - no? So I do have a shot at 5?? Thanks everyone

danimbk said:
This Vapochill is AC - so as far as I know it plugs into the wall. Plus with my PSU I doubt I will run into power problems. That 660 you had at 5.1 is a lesser CPU than mine - no? So I do have a shot at 5?? Thanks everyone

the vapochill i had plugged into the wall as well it was the lightspeed model but the powerdraw of the cpu on the 12v rail of the psu at those high of volts can seriously strain a psu as the prescott is anything but efficent and uses alot of power. also my cpu was a lesser costing cpu than yours dont know about lesser clocking/performing though i could run @ 4.5ghz with 1.5v on a low end waterloop not sure what your chip maxs out at :shrug:

I wish you all the luck getting to 5ghz but I doubt you'll make it. The 660 hawtrawkr was talking about I purchased it from him. I was able to obtain between 4.5 - 4.7 with a high end water loop. That 660 was NOT a snail

well i think the 6xx series with the 2mb of cache were clocking higher than the ee @ the time because the cache on them has increased latencies which in turn let them clock a little higher because the cache could go faster as a result. could be totally wrong about this though been awhile

Back