• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 HSF Removal Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bombshelter13

This is probably going to be regarded as a fairly stupid question, but how do I go about removing the retail P4 HSF assembly? I've undid the grey latching bars on top, but can't for the life of me figure out how to properly unhook the actual black plastic 'hooks' holding it on at the bottom.

The damn thing's absurdly dusty and in need of a cleaning, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bombshelter13 said:
This is probably going to be regarded as a fairly stupid question, but how do I go about removing the retail P4 HSF assembly? I've undid the grey latching bars on top, but can't for the life of me figure out how to properly unhook the actual black plastic 'hooks' holding it on at the bottom.

The damn thing's absurdly dusty and in need of a cleaning, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

i just usually use a small flathead screw driver. i slide the screw driver inbetween the two pieces and i twist the screwdriver. this moves the wedge out of the slot and pull up slightly on that corner. do that to each corner and it will come off.

I have pulled the "feet" out and up with my fingers, but it's hard. They hook in there securely. The screwdriver method works ok, but please be careful not to slip and bang the screwdriver into the mobo. That would be bad.

You will need to clean off the old heat pad which will be half melted and then use thermal paste to reinstall.

It's easiest if the motherboard is completely removed from the case. Then it's a no brainer unless there is an OTES. But it's not required to do that.

(All you're really doing is pushing the black retaining clips on the HSF, down first, and then forward or back (depending on which one)),

It's a LOT harder if you have an OTES type setup....that often REQUIRES that you remove the OTES, otherwise it's virtually impossible to get the HSF off.

rofl, I remember when i installed my stock hsf mofo wouldnt come off, in all honesty i just broke it right off along with the retention brackets(the little part they hook on to)

Back