• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E, should I volt mod ? what vdimm can I get ? droop mod ? best bios for northy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZL1

Senior Crypto Caretaker
P4C800-E, should I volt mod ? what vdimm can I get ? droop mod ? best bios for northy

Hi

guys I got a few questions regarding p4c800-e overclocking
I would like to take my oc to a new level and was wondering about a few things
1. if I volt mod, what max voltage can I get ?
2. droop mod ? I dont even fully understand this one, can someone advise ?
3. what is the best bios for OCing a northy ? I heard not the last one
4. best northbridge cooler ? thermalright ?
5. can I read northbridge temp somehow ? maybe some sort of aftermarket sensor ?
6. was never able to read correct vdimm in windows, no util will show correct :( (tried mbm, speedfan) anyone ran into this before ?

please advise

Thank you
Dan

P.S. sorry about the large number of questions :)

1. if you volt mod your vdimm max voltage is 3.3v
2. I can't explain droop mod very well but here it goes, Asus p4c800 has a big vcore drop under load. Let say vcore is set in bios at 1.575 under load it may drop to 1.511. When droop mod is done to the board, same sittuation situation as before vcore set at 1.575 under load it should be like 1.575-1.582. Just check your idle vcore vs. load vcore.
3. Best bios should be either 15 or 16

you positive on the voltage ? Ive heard 3,1v

Thank you
Dan

PS: anyone know the others ?

I had my P4C800 Deluxe rev 1.0 vmodded and the vdimm was 3.4v with no problems. I had 3.3v going into my twinmos. Just gotta sink up the mosfets and have good airflow thru the case.

ZL1 said:
you positive on the voltage ? Ive heard 3,1v

Thank you
Dan

PS: anyone know the others ?

its basicly as much as your 3.3v rail will throw on it if you have adjustable pots and no ovp on your psu you can up this and get a higher vdimm this way.

Thanks guys !

Nebulous - Im lacking airflow pretty badly, how hot do these get ?

Hawtrawkr - curious, I do have adjustable, but what would I be putting at risk by increasing the 3.3 ?

Thank you
Dan

Propilot said:
Some ram (such as mine) is not helped at all with voltage.
Some just don't and some have overvoltage protection.

his ram will work great with more voltage its the mushkin bh-5 based lvl2 pc3500.

as far as the adverse effects of raising your 3.3v line im not entirley sure. ive run mine @3.5 for extended periods and havent had anything happen as a result other than some outrageous memory clocks on my bh-5 sticks. id guess that anything powered by the 3.3v rail could be adversly effected it depends on how much over its rating you go too. theres a slight variance like +/- 10% where i dont think youll notice any problems at all.

Propilot - yes of course, but the bh5s are in the "voltage hungry" club :)

Hawtrawkr - you are right, I think the heat part is what I need to be thinking about :) by the way I see you droop moded and sinked the mosfets, did you volt mod as well ? since you have the same exact board may I ask did you use a guide if so which one ? can you help me with my modding ?

please let me know

Thank you
Dan

all ive done is the droop mod on this board so far.
dont really need the vdimm mod since my memory doesnt respond well to voltages over 2.85 anyway.

theres a sticky in the top of this forum that shows all the points you need to solder on the p4c800e thats pretty much all i used when doing my droop mod.

Ahhhhhh....
Didn't know it was bh5 based, since they don't make those anymore.

I sold my bh5 to someone on this board, since it would not run at decent timings at 240fsb, even with the volt mod.

hawtrawkr said:
all ive done is the droop mod on this board so far.
dont really need the vdimm mod since my memory doesnt respond well to voltages over 2.85 anyway.

theres a sticky in the top of this forum that shows all the points you need to solder on the p4c800e thats pretty much all i used when doing my droop mod.

Thanks again

by the way I dont know for sure if I'll need the vmod, since I may go with TCCD ram in a quest for high fsb and 1:1, but since I am going to do a droop mod I thought I may do a vmod as well, help keep my options open (test my bh5s, perhaps revert to bh5s in the future, you never know)
what can I loose ? if I vmod but keep it at 2.8v the mosfets shouldnt overheat right ?

by the way Propilot what sticks did you have ? how many volts ? odd, bh5s usually do 240 222

Thanks
Dan

Its been a long time, but it was Kingston HyperX that was based on the BH5. I tried it all the way up to 3.2v.
The ram I have now (which they also don't make anymore), is alot more flexible and at stock voltage.

bh5s are very volt hungry, to go over 240 you usually need 3.3-3.6v
thats actually why Im thinking TCCDs at this time, some of those will run up to 300mhz on 2.85v :) (more relaxed timings of course, but still nice IMO)

D

Back