• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B-Deluxe ICH8R RAID is unstable!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Psycogeec said:
basically what i am saying, is to very slightly improve the cooling capacity for the P965 chipset thing, i had to redo the whole thing.

not saying that is your problem, but if you offset bumped or altered that thing when shoving in some mondo cpu cooler or something, at the least the thermal connection could be reduced.

Thanks, I too re-seated the NB cooler which was poorly seated at the factory. I removed the cap too and have a Zalman bracket holding a 90mm fan over the board. I also put a 40mm fan on the SB heatsink.

Core2Duo006.jpg

boead said:
so overclocking the video card caused the RAID to become unstable?

Nope, unless there's a power supply or motherboard power regulation issue.
That problem sounds like a power supply or motherboard power regulation problem. This is possible if your power supply is less than 500W. The HDDs may have suffered a power drop when OC'ing the video card. With the newest video cards, smells like a +12V rail drop problem.

I am having the same problems with 5 different Intel DG965WH and both DiamondMax 11 and Maxline Pro 500 Drives. Random craches and rebuilds. The system in not oc at all. What firmware does your drives have? All my drives have HA431DD0 and that is the latest according to maxtor. Intel has stopped listening to me and blames Maxtor telling me its their drives that are incompadible with Intel. Have you tried different drives and had the same problem?

EDIT: Just read the tread more carfully and found that your system doesnt rebuild but just verifies. Does it ever find any errors when it verifies? Have you checked the Event Viewer for any errors regarding iaStore.sys?
Maybe my problem isnt the same as yours after all. I also found that after the crash sometimes the raid didnt find the second drive until after a cold reboot and by then the data on drive one had probably changed forcing the rebuild.

Last edited:
p1p3 said:
I am having the same problems with 5 different Intel DG965WH and both DiamondMax 11 and Maxline Pro 500 Drives. Random craches and rebuilds. The system in not oc at all. What firmware does your drives have? All my drives have HA431DD0 and that is the latest according to maxtor. Intel has stopped listening to me and blames Maxtor telling me its their drives that are incompadible with Intel. Have you tried different drives and had the same problem?

EDIT: Just read the tread more carfully and found that your system doesnt rebuild but just verifies. Does it ever find any errors when it verifies? Have you checked the Event Viewer for any errors regarding iaStore.sys?
Maybe my problem isnt the same as yours after all. I also found that after the crash sometimes the raid didnt find the second drive until after a cold reboot and by then the data on drive one had probably changed forcing the rebuild.

Overclocked or not, if I hit the re-set button or if for any reason the computer does not shut down properly, on re-boot the raid boot screen will list the array as ‘verify’ and it will do so in windows on startup. I’ve stopped the proves several times to avoid the LONG wait and still it takes a good 15 minutes just to get to the point where you can cancel the operation.

Of the dozen or two times this has happened, its only once or twice found an error and fixed it.

They are Maxtor model 6H400F0 with firmware; HA431BV0 on one and HA431C00 on the other. They shipped that way.

boead said:
Overclocked or not, if I hit the re-set button or if for any reason the computer does not shut down properly, on re-boot the raid boot screen will list the array as ‘verify’ and it will do so in windows on startup. I’ve stopped the proves several times to avoid the LONG wait and still it takes a good 15 minutes just to get to the point where you can cancel the operation.

Of the dozen or two times this has happened, its only once or twice found an error and fixed it.

Although I'm using 3 x Seagate Perp's, I only get the "on re-boot the raid boot screen will list the array as ‘verify’ and it will do so in windows on startup" when I have pushed an overclock toooo far. If I hit the reset button, everything simply restarts as normal.

BTW.... is anyone running a 4 x Seagate perp drive array on a P5W-DH?

This is still happening occasionally, not pushing the machine at all.

I read this issue is known by Intel and happens with new(er) Maxtor drives. I’m considering swapping out these Maxtor’s with another brand to see if this is so.

Anyone else with Maxtor Diamond MAX 11’s having this issue?

Anyone suggest another brand drive, just as fast and quiet?

I’ve been monitoring my voltage:
According to SpeedFan 4.31, +12 is a 12.3v and AVcc is 3.27v.

PSU Spec:
+5V +12V1 +12V2 +3.3V -12V +5Vsb
35A -- 17A -- 19A -- 32A - 0.3A -- 2.0A

Could you provide a link to where intel says they know about the problem. I have stopped counting the hours i spent on the phone trying to convince them there is a compatability issue. They just say Im the first one with the problem and that its not their fault.

DEZMOND said:
So far I have been up to 510 fsb with 2 raptors in raid 0,a ide seagate off the j micron controller and a ata 66 card for my dvd-r drive in the pci slot.Haven't had a single fail of my array,the title of your post is misleading.

Not really, if you read the thread you'll see it happens only for RAID1/RAID5/RAID10 arrays. RAID0 has no redundancy so naturally there's nothing to check ;)

p1p3 said:
Could you provide a link to where intel says they know about the problem. I have stopped counting the hours i spent on the phone trying to convince them there is a compatability issue. They just say Im the first one with the problem and that its not their fault.

No sorry, just lots of hear-say so don’t[ take it to the bank.

One fellow said either Intel or Maxtor claimed a known issue. But again, its all web dribble. That’s why I’d like to try another brand drive. I really like these Maxtors, very fast and quiet but the verifying thing is a nuisance.

boead said:

They are Maxtor model 6H400F0 with firmware; HA431BV0 on one and HA431C00 on the other. They shipped that way.

Hi folks, stumbled accross this post on Google...

I Just got hold of two new Maxtor 6H500F0 drives for use with my ASUS P5N32-SLi SE Deluxe. The one with a build date of 06AUG2006 and a firmware version of HA431DN0 works fine (Non RAID) however the one with a build date of 28DEC2005 and a firmware version of HA431C00 will NOT allow me to enable SATAII 3G mode, it has to be in PIO mode or WindowsXP will not boot fully.

I don't know if you ever got your issues sorted but to me, this confirms that the later firmware fixes at least some issues the earlier drives had. I have contacted Maxtor and will keep you informed of any response...

HTH...D-an-W

This occurs also without OC

Hi Gents
I'm new here.. Also english isn't my native language.
My problem is following - only that all of the posters here don't feel alone...

Have also a very good knowledge of Computers and the wherabouts. I usually never Overclock because the input effort does'nt match the outcome. So I stay with Stock Speed etc.

Board - P5B-Deluxe Bios 1226
CPU - E6700 @2.66Mhz 2*4mb cache
Ram - 4GB Kingston KVR800D2N5K - PC6400 -
VGA - ATI EAH-3450 / 256 mb PCI-E
Drives - SATA WD 160Gb *2 Boot Drive WinXP - Pro Also Win Vista
Drives - SATA Hitachi 72GB * 2 Boot Drive Win2k
Drives - SATA Maxtor 300 GB Boot Drive Win2k

This Problem - Trashed System Files usually SYSTEM or SOFTWARE - Registry files - only concerns for the Win2k Drives and only the Hitachi and WD drive if there is Win2k Running. No problems on WinXP or Win Vista:confused:

Since the Graphic adapter is official supported by ASUS but it will not install on this maching there was a small INF tune necessary to have it install on win 2k. The driver itself works fine. :beer:

I'm no Gamer and so there is ne need to OC. All I use this machine for is for regular Business and may a bit music and also Movies & creating DVD's.

The Win2k were running on a P4P-E Deluxe prior to the Switch on the P5B
Win2k was running smooth as a baby *** never any problems.

The transfer to the new system was also without any problems except as stated above the Grapic controller wouldn't install without INF Modification..
Call it a badly written INF file..

If for any reason the Win2k stops responding with a BSOD the next I know is DATA Corruption on the Win2k Drive .. It will not happen if I use a IDE drive.

Everything is BRAND NEW on this computer - the drives were all working without any problem.

Have running the System on PERFOMANCE of the FAN Speed or Quiet the it will occur. If I change the Fan Speed to MAX then it will Occur but much less.:screwy:

But I'mSure it isn't a heat problem - hardware probe shows 45 C for the CPU and even less for Chipset..

Any one has a IDEA? BTW I think it has something to do with the Southbridge..have seen this before on HP Computers.. but actually never found the reason for it.

Regards and Thanks

Chris :bang head

Back