• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P6T MB w/Kingston 12gb ram problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Iceblade711

Hello,
First of all let me say I've not O.C. sence way back when.. I just finished the 3 step guild on how to O.C. an heres my problem.

I'am using a P6T Asus Motherboard bios ver 1408 with a i7 960 3.2 Ghz chip
12 gigs of Kingston ram KHX 1600C9D3K3/12gx timings 9-9-9-27

in bios all power saving off,stepup off all like the guide suggest. using memtest 86 iam able to set the ram at 1600 in bios an get a pass on all cycles. when I load windows 7 an run CPU-Z shows DRam Frequency 804 Mhz FSB:DRAM 2:12 which it should be NB Frequency 3200 MHz at idle every thing is good but when i use Prime95 an put a load on the system In-Place Large FFT it runs for about 2 mins an freeze the system hard lock. Now if I go back an set the Ram to 1333 MHz in bios my Dram Frequency in CPU-Z is now 667 MHz 2:10 FSB DRAM an NB Frequency drop to 2671 MHZ an I can re-run the test an every thing is stable for hrs. What iam not getting how can my ram be stable in bios at 1600 Mhz an unstable in windows. My heat on Real Temp never reaches over 72 c with full load. I dont think its a heat problem. I set my Core Votage to 1.3 - 1.4 still hangs. my CPU Blc is 133 x 24 I dont want to over clock my cpu just want to get my ram stable at 1600 mhz. Any Help would be greatly apprecatied. PS the guide talks about seting the QPI/Dram to 1.3v to1.35v this I have at auto only thing I can think of that Ive not tryed.

Chances are you'll need to bump QPI/DRAM Core voltage (VTT) from the default of 1.15V, in order to stabilize 12GB of RAM running at DDR3-1600; 9-9-9-27 and 1.65V.

Try turning on LLC to medium or high setting and see if that takes care of it.

Also, take your IOH voltage up to 1.15 instead of the default 1.10

If the QPI/DRAM/VTT is causing a crash you should probably up it to about 1.3 with LLC on. I would try the first two steps first since your not OCing your processor/QPI bus.

PS. you should totally OC your processor =)

Last edited:
Stable but hot

ok so took my cpu core voltage to 1.35 an it became stable but my heat was at 79 c which iam not sure if thats to hot with a after market cooler the Naudia 14. Thank You both for the input.. I might try O.C my cpu fsb an multipler to reach the 1600 ram speed with a lower temp.. Ill let yah know how that turns out..

Why are you increasing the Vcore at default clock, especially all the way up to 1.35V? Reset the Vcore back to about 1.12-1.15V, and instead raise the VTT like I suggested.

cpu core voltage? that should have little or nothing to do with "overclocking" your ram

Ok after playing with it for a while an taking your suggestion heres my setup.

CPU 3.2 O.C (3.3)mhz
BClk 160
UClk 3200
QPI 6400
Cpu Multi x21 (instead of 24)
CPU Volt 1.21
CPU PLL 1.80 (low as it will go)
QPI/Dram Core Volt 1.34375
Dram Bus Volt 1.64 (not able to set to 1.65) next step 1.66
IOH/Volt 1.20
ICH Volt 1.20
LLC Enable
CPU Spread Disable
C1E disable
HT Enable
This puts my Ram Speed at 1604 MHz an every thing stable underload from Prime 95 Large FFT Temp 72 C
One thing I noticed I have lots of room to up the CPU speed if I wanted to do so. An that the systems runs with lower heat with a lower CPU Multi at some point Ill take it to x24 with a BCLK 200 should put me around 4.2 mhz I know Ill have to step it up slowly an adjust the voltage for both CPU an Ram. Thx again for the help very happy to get this system stable with 1600 MHz ram.

The Vcore is still too high at 1.21V for only a 100MHz overclock. Lower it to the 1.12-1.15V that I suggested, since it shouldn't need to be any higher than the VID of the chip.

Back