• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P8Z68-V LE cant access bios, pc hangs on logo screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dunkle

Registered
A well meaning helper decided to try and do me a favour and use the asus windows software to update the bios on my p8z68-v le

It seems it worked within windows and asked for a reboot
That's where problem started

Something has obviously been updated as the asus splash / logo screen is different, but sadly that's all i see

What happens is this

pc boots, lights on any USB devices flash very briefly
Pc beeps, one short, healthy sounding beep, asus logo appears
Pc resets and reboots
No lights come on USB devices, back to asus screen saying press del to enter bios but nothing happens when do

Whole thing takes about 7 seconds
Can't get into bios to change settings and pc goes no further

No key presses are detected the pc just sits showing the asus screen and asking me to press del

All unneeded components have been removed

Bios has been rest an cleared, many times, even had battery out overnight

Is it beyond hope ?
Will a new CMOS chip fix it ( I have ordered one on eBay for a tener ) or is a new motherboard needed

Cheers ninja
I hope so
I removed memory from motherboard and pc beeps the expected error code
I can get the bios chip out fine, guess have to wait on new one

Shame. Hope works.

Out of interest, if it does not work can you recommend which motherboard to replace it with ?

Obviously need it to be able to use my existing ram, CPU (i5) and ssd hard drive etc.

Any socket 1155 mobo should be able to make use of the parts you have. Since you'd be buying new, I'd say grab a Z77 and have the latest tech. I really like my Extreme4. ;)

Do you overclock, though? And what does the rest of your system consist of? Budget for a new one?

I would hold out hope for the new bios chip, though. :)

This is why you should never flash a BIOS / UEFI from within the GUI. Remove all power from the board by unplugging both the 24-pin and 4-pin / 8-pin power connectors. Hold down the power button on the board or the case face for a few seconds to discharge the cap's, then reset CMOS w/ the jumper on pins 2-3 for 1 min. before placing them back on the default pins 1-2. Reattach both power connectors to the board, power on, then start hitting the Del key repeatedly as soon as you see the Asus splash screen. A double power-on may be normal w/ the newest BIOS revision, and after a subsequent CMOS reset.

Last edited:
This is why you should never flash a BIOS / UEFI from within the GUI. Remove all power from the board by unplugging both the 24-pin and 4-pin / 8-pin power connectors. Hold down the power button on the board or the case face for a few seconds to discharge the cap's, then reset CMOS w/ the jumper on pins 2-3 for 1 min. before placing them back on the default pins 1-2. Reattach both power connectors to the board, power on, then start hitting the Del key repeatedly as soon as you see the Asus splash screen. A double power-on may be normal w/ the newest BIOS revision, and after a subsequent CMOS reset.

Will give that a go.

Sadly, still the same

I've always flashed BIOS through a Windows-based application and have never had an issue. I actually just flashed my mobo last night.

I'm most confused with mine
I guess will have to wait til,the new CMOS chip turns up

It's as if it is almost working, but failing to detect anything in the USB or ps2 slots after the first quick boot

I initially thought may be faulty keyboard, but two more tried and still same
It does not detect the USB stick etc so no restore of bios that way and never passes the logo screen so can't use cd etc

I can understand why it would be more risky (and likely is). I've just never had an issue with it myself.

Cheers. It seems no amount of CMOS resetting or tapping of the del key will get be further.

Is it possible that the bios ended up just being partially updated.
No post screen, no bios access. No reading of any USB stick or internal hard drive

Just sits on the asus logo.

That is what most likely occurred. It erased it and began to write the new one, but did not complete the process. Let us know if that new chip fixes the problem.

Back