• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pain in the bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uglykidmoe

Registered
attempting to install and set up raid 0 (as storage) with two raptors, 600g - 2.5" - sata 6g

the board is the asus sabertooth z77. i plug the hd's into the sata 6g's and they are not recognized in the bios (it's the latest for this board), they do show up when plugged into the 3g slots though. ok so sata 3g - enable raid in the bios - f10 and then, according to the mb user guide, i should be able to hit <ctrl> <l> to get into the raid setup, nothing happens, the computer just wants to load the os, which for some reason it can't do, that is until i disconnect the wd's from the sata connections.

any suggestions? thanks in advance folks!

If those are bare bone drives, they may need to be activated before use. Last time I purchased HD's brand new (spinners) I had to use W7 to activate the drives. You can do this in disk management. Use the Sata 3 ports so bios see them.

If these drives have a windows set up on them already, it might be better to run a backup of that windows set up, then wipe and clean the drives and use them fresh and clean and new.

Not sure the history of the HD's so it's hard to help.

thanks for your response!

hd's are new, no os on them, just to be used as storage. the problem is that with the drives connected, i can't get windows to load, until i disconnect them?

Well I'd try one drive at a time. Then activate the partition space and format. Once you have both drives with active partitions, you "should" have no issues setting up your raid.

Might I ask why raid 0 on storage? you do know there's a slightly higher risk of loosing ALL your data if one of the disks goes bad.

thanks for your suggestion ShrimpBrine i'll try it in the morning!

hd's are just for games, nothing important, but as an aside, i have an abit board that i've run 2x 64g raptors on for close to 10 years, my experience is they're pretty much bullet proof. course could be that or i've just been lucky.

I had a Gen 1 raptor die.... But that was a long time ago lol. And it was gen 1 eye roll!

Just keep a backup of the raid on an external drive to keep things easy just in case.

Good luck, hope you get it working!

Back