• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paint a video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Advent

Registered
I'm wondering if anyone has ever painted the "fan cover" of their video card before.

I'm thinking of taking apart my 5970s to paint the red section of the fan cover blue to match the theme for my next project. Has this been done before? I've done some searching and haven't come up with much.

I know that adding a coat of anything to plastic can add to the heat, so this is a major concern for me. Obviously visual looks do not top performance for this build, it's just a question.

The heat dissipated through the plastic cover itself is very minimal. You can paint it without issues.

The heat dissipated through the plastic cover itself is very minimal. You can paint it without issues.

Thanks for the reply. Just checked your sig and realized that I use to visit your blog frequently when I was leveling a druid back when I use to play WoW. Small world.

Thanks for the reply. Just checked your sig and realized that I use to visit your blog frequently when I was leveling a druid back when I use to play WoW. Small world.
Wow, what are the chances? :shock:

I'm wondering if anyone has ever painted the "fan cover" of their video card before.

I'm thinking of taking apart my 5970s to paint the red section of the fan cover blue to match the theme for my next project. Has this been done before? I've done some searching and haven't come up with much.

I know that adding a coat of anything to plastic can add to the heat, so this is a major concern for me. Obviously visual looks do not top performance for this build, it's just a question.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6577376&postcount=40

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6588526&postcount=47

^This.

Most plastics, and acrylic in particular (which the shroud is most likely made out of), are typically excellent thermal insulators. The shroud is there for nothing more than air flow direction. Painting it (to be thorough, once it is taken off of the card) will not cause any heat issues.

Just an FYI this will void any sort of warranty on the card:D

Yeah I actually just heard back from Sapphire that it will void the warranty. Not willing to take that chance as I've had back luck with graphics cards in the past degrading over time.

As to the above posts. Go Bucks.

Back