• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

painting electronic parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliya

Registered
what do you guys think about painting, say, the motherboard (with some uv paint)? would it be too risky or not?

i checked the paint with a multimeter, doesnt seem to be conducting.

would like to hear your opinions...

here is my article on UV painted motherboards

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1029/

pic6.jpg

I just painted my motherboard last week using Starfoxer's great guide. I used this paint (sold at CompUSA, in fact). It's specifically designed for painting circuitboards and comes off with soap and water.

The washing off with soap and water was really nice. I taped off the north and southbridges, but instead of taping off all the little voltage regulators and everything, I went back afterwards with a wet Q-tip to wipe them off. It worked great and looks awesome.

awesome bro, post pics if you can! i'd love to see someone else's mobo.

I am going to attempt this Friday, please if you all have pics, post them for me so i know I am not going to taost my good stuff.

Albaholic said:
Anyone know what multimeter setting to use to test the paint's conductivity??

You want to set it to measure ohms, which is designated on some meters with the Greek symbol for Omega. (Sorry, but I don't have a Greek-language keyboard to show you exactly what it looks like.)

An Ohmmeter test tries to run a minute amount of current through the positive probe and measures what is received on the other side by the negative probe. What you would want is a reading that shows an infinite number of Ohms or display OPEN on a digital meter.

If it shows open or infinite, this means the paint is non-conductive and will not turn the surface of your board into a massive short circuit looking for a place to happen.

Using a voltage meter, or an ammeter, won't tell you anything for this purpose. Voltage and ammeters can only test the current flowing in a circuit, not the circuits ability to transfer electricity. So while you want to be certain that the paint won't conduct volts or amps, you can't use a volt or ammeter to test it.

BHD

No one posted so I put that part of the project off until i know for sure wether or not chrome or any mettalic paint conducts electricity enough to hurt the cards

KnowlesTech said:
No one posted so I put that part of the project off until i know for sure wether or not chrome or any mettalic paint conducts electricity enough to hurt the cards

You may have to use a primer.:cool:

i just got myself an old Mortor ammo case, im gunna make a comp case out of it, full atx, yay!

obliv said:
i just got myself an old Mortor ammo case, im gunna make a comp case out of it, full atx, yay!

make sure it's empty first :) hehe
now if you could make a case out of a tank shell (empty of course)... now that would rock :)

anyway.. thanks to all who replied to my original question. i think i'll give it a try this weekend, maybe post some pics if i dont fry the whole thing..

Back