• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parallel/USB printer question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

At our company, we have this old data entry software called Q&A from Symantec.

You can print from within the program, but it does not recognize USB ports, only the LPT (parallel/1284) ports.

Problem is, I have a person who just started using this program, but she has a brand new HP usb only connecting printer. So I need a way to install this new printer utilizing the LPT1 port in Windows.

I know there are adapters to plug 1284 printers into USB slots, but is there a way to plug a USB printer, into a 1284 slot? I can't seem to find anything on the net.

Is such a device in existence?

Does that Q&A program support printing to a network printer? I can't find the exact cable you are looking for either, but perhaps you could make something work with a normal DB25 female to USB-A male cable, DB25 gender changer (male on both ends), and then use a female USB-A to female USB-B gender changer, and then a straight male-to-male USB-B cable to connect into the printer.

I cannot honestly say if that will work or not, it sounds like a long-shot, but here are some links for you:

usb-a female to usb-b female converter: link
usb-a male to DB25 female cable: link
DB25 male-male gender changer: link
usb-b male-to-male cable:
link

Back