• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passive cooling the NB on an IC7-G.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

what

Is it possible to passively cool an IC7-G board that is OC'd with a Prescott? And if not, how is it that none of the Asus socket 478 boards have active NB cooling?

Do you know of any good passive heatsinks for the NB that are under 10$?

Thanks

Well, no socket 478 was designed for the Prescott. N/B cooling depends a lot on how high you run the FSB. Zalman makes a good passive N/B heatsink, but you have to use the provided thermal adhesive to permanently mount it. I used one of these on an IC7 and screwed on a 40mm fan for extra cooling.

http://www.svc.com/zazmnobrhe.html

The fan on my IC7-G died so I am technically running passive. The stock heatsink is pretty big and it gets plenty of airflow from my HSF. No stability problems to report.

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah I turned off my NB fan too with speedfan and I didn't notice anything bad happen (I only did it for a couple of minutes though).

Those zalmans are just what I'm looking for. Now I need my SI-120 to arrive so I can make sure it won't have any problems being installed around the zalman. That would suck it I got it epoxyed and it was in the way.

i have an xp-120 sucking air through it on my main rig which has 110W from the cpu, this makes it similar to a presshot. my nb fan started whining and i simply unplugged it, and i've had no problems running at loud 24/7. if my xp-120 didn't hang out so much i would go for a zalman. the thermalright nb-1 is a good choice, too.

hey
actually you dont need to permanently attach anything.
all you need to do to the zalman is to remove the fittings for the push pins, and then from your old heatsink, pull off the spring thing, and just get it to fit on the zalman, obv making sure you've got good contact and theres a lot of tension in the spring.
my nb32j(the gold one) is running perfectly fine like this!

Ok, cool, that's worth a shot. I also came across something on the OC.com main page where a guy was making his very own spring clip thing for the blue zalman (I think that was it, anyway).

You mean passively cooled NB? Well, then why don't any of the Asus boards have active NB cooling? They seem to be doing just fine with Prescott overclocks.

Back