• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passive Noctua Cooler???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmbraceTheHate

Has anyone ran the DH 14 with no fans on it?? Does it cool good enough? Ive seen a few builds using the Dark Rock pro from Be Quiet and they took the fans off. They were even running a i7 cpu as well.

Yes, it works quite well passive, assuming good case airflow.

I agree, but i was curious to see what a difference it would make. I have 2x120mm thermaltake led fans at the top. They are pretty noisy.

Shut it off and see... its subjective really. But I would attack the low hanging fruit considering we know that it is pretty quiet and you already have fans you know you can improve upon. ;)

I just noticed something. I dont even have the low noise adapters on. I guess i could use those for the Thermaltakes. Its no very loud, but after watching Linus build a sweet passive computer and basically have no noise i was intrigued LMAO.

If you get good fans you don't need it to be passive. I have 12 120mm fans in my case and unless I have my ear within a foot of it you can barely hear it.

You're definitely NOT hearing the Noctua fans over the case fans.

I use a passive NH-D14 whenever I test a case for a review. Works great. If you look at the reviews collected here, you can look at the various cases this heatsink has cooled passively.

But for better cooling and good quietness. Run the heatsink with only the first fan going, and that with your lowest speed LNA. The NF-P14 is a bit noisy, so I wouldn't run that without an LNA. Running your heatsink with two or three 500-600 rpm fans is near silent.

HTH

I pulled out all the thermaltake fans except one, then i took the fans off the cooler. I mounted the 140mm to the top right above the cooler as an exhaust. Then i put the 120mm as a exhaust directly back on the case. Im starting up prime right now and going to stress test to see how it does. Its VERY quiet now. I think ill only buy Noctua brand fans from now on.

Im going to order one more Noctua fan for the front intake to replace the Thermaltake. Is there a special series of Noctua i should get or are they all the same basically???

Can you put 140mm fans in the front? If so, the TR TY-140 is the most cost-effective solution. Otherwise, you can use the Noctua NF-A14 ULN. I just put two of those in my own rig.

If you must use a 120mm front fan, use an 800-1000 rpm fan. When I had to do that, I used a nominal 800 rpm Gentle Typhoon AP-12. Later I tried two Noctua NF-P2's on LNA's (nominal speed 900 rpm). The GT's were slightly quieter, though. They ran about 900 rpm actual.

The Nexus Real Silent is a clickless version of the lowspeed Yate Loon that has a nominal speed of 1000 rpm. Also, for case fan work, you can use an 800 rpm Scythe Slip Stream or its successor.

Use the largest diameter fans that will fit, though.

well a 120mm is in the front now. Cant a 140mm round fan fit in a 120mm spot?

As long as you have a flat surround, a round 140mm fan is fine. Two cases ago, I had a 140mm Scythe Kaze Maru on a 120x120mm fan window. It was great because the 140mm fan covered the spot but did not waste much around the edges.

However, two fans are usually placed together, so there is no room for larger-diameter fans to fit. Check your case. But if they fit, do use 140mm fans.

That's what they say. However, they sent me review specimens, so I have had them in my hands, measured their pull through filters, measured their push through rads. The comparison review is here. Note that the is not much difference between the NF-P12 and the NF-S12A in unfettered output. But put a filter on them, or a rad, and you get this. So, if you're going to get a Noctua 120mm case fan, get the NF-P12.

Back