• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Build advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah that looks good. And yes we do have phanteks, funny you mention that as I was just looking at them. I really like the Anthoo evolv with the tempered glass size. I would go for the evga case but it's massive and won't fit in my living room but the phantek is my 2nd choice. Quite like the nzxt razer one too

Looking at your parts list Matty and there are a few things I would change. Those Kingston V300 SSD's are pretty much the worst on the market. I would change that out for any other brand but Some preferred brands are Samsung, aData, and Crucial. While we're looking at your storage I would also replace the Seagate with a Hitachi, Western Digital , or Toshiba. Something like this I'm thinking.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/M3V48d/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp920ss3128gmc
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/fpCwrH/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-dt01aca200

Your case, Motherboard, CPU, GPU and PSU are all solid choices.

I'd still suggest stretching to a 240GB+ SSD as it wont make that much difference to cost overall, but you will be happy you had the extra space without constantly shuffling things to the HD. A quick look shows a variety of choices around the £60 mark, so less than £20 increase to double the SSD capacity.

ill defo take a look, i guess the parts list may change slightly on the day of when i purchase things

Looks good as suggested change the SSD, and definitely consider a higher capacity one. I personally have no problems with my seagate drives. I've had an equal amount of seagate and WD fail on me, however both were out of warranty so its a moot point. I just grab whatever works, though historically toshiba/HGST have the 'lowest' failure rate by comparison.

Regarding the power supply does it make much different if it's gold or bronze? Or even a non bronze

Regarding the power supply does it make much different if it's gold or bronze? Or even a non bronze

Technically speaking, no. The Platinum/Gold/Bronze ratings are rough markers for how efficient the unit is. Efficiency here means how much power the unit uses to make the power it produces. Having said that, it is probably also true that in a general sense a more efficient PSU will also have higher quality components overall. It likely will run cooler and last longer, have steadier voltages, less ripple, etc.

so ive seen a gtx 1080 on an auction site going cheap, not ebay but one that deals with liquidated stock in the UK, now its always a risk as sometimes things can be returned faulty items, but most things i buy seem to be ok, but i just wondered do graphics cards have a high failure rate out of the box from new? its a gamble but you can get some really good deals, theres also an asus pro gaming mobo going for around £50 and a couple of power supplys, i could probably get the whole lot for like £500

To be honest, I Personally wouldn't buy a current gen card off ebay unless you know you can get full (near full, whatever is left) warranty transferred or registered or whatever. IMO ebay and auction websites are good for older parts, finding rare items that are discontinued. They're likely selling them cheap for a reason... Could be something wrong with them. Board could have maybe bent pins, you don't really know.

yeah thats true, maybe ill just wait for black friday then, althought they are boxed and quite often stuff is brand new like i got my tv from there which was just an ex demo one, but i got it half the RRP, i might take a gamble on the power sullpies as they are dirt cheap, and theres an evga 650 gq and a corsair cx50

yeah i decided to leave it in the end, but i found a 1070 on gumtree with warranty left for £230! bargain

yeah it looks like a standard model, well its Asus, but it says Geforce on the side, not republicof gaming, im not quite sure the difference in the models, but will it make much difference, i think its the founders edition

That'll be fine. The ones you want to avoid right now are the EVGA cards which are having VRM overheat issues. The Founders cards are the sharpest looking, but they are also louder due to only having a single blower fan.

I found my FE 1070 to be not bad. It is much less power than my similar 980Ti reference, and the latter could easily go into thermal throttling whereas the 1070 is cool in comparison. Fan noise is mostly air noise, not whine.

Looking at your parts list Matty and there are a few things I would change. Those Kingston V300 SSD's are pretty much the worst on the market. I would change that out for any other brand but Some preferred brands are Samsung, aData, and Crucial. While we're looking at your storage I would also replace the Seagate with a Hitachi, Western Digital , or Toshiba. Something like this I'm thinking.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/M3V48d/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp920ss3128gmc
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/fpCwrH/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-dt01aca200

Your case, Motherboard, CPU, GPU and PSU are all solid choices.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with seagates. The only drives that had issues have long since been discontinued (specifically the 1.5tb and 4tb models), and WD/Toshiba are proving to be less reliable at this time. HGST are the only brand that really stand out for reliability at this time.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

I do agree on the SSD, that thing is relatively ancient in SSD terms.

Back