• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC_071000

Hey guys,
I'm new in this whole PC gaming and since I am not sure about buying the following parts myself and without anyone else's opinion I would like some opinions or suggestions. I basically have a budget of about 800$.
these are some parts I had in mind:
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K, Prozessor FC-LGA4, "Devil's Canyon"
ASRock H97 Pro4, Mainboard Sound G-LAN SATA3 USB 3.0
ADATA DIMM 16 GB DDR3-1600 Kit, RAM gold, AX3U1600W8G9-DGV, XPG Gaming v2.0

Thanks in advance and as I said if you can recommend a PC with none of these parts which you can recommend would be nice as well :)

The parts you have chosen are certainly good choices and will work together but as Saul said they are a generation old. Performance-wise moving up to socket 1151 and a 6700k will make little or no difference, however. I mention that in case there is a reason you are looking at socket 1150 components, like maybe you are getting an especially good price on them or the newer stuff is not available where you live.

1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM Alternate, Software
1 x Thermaltake Berlin 630W, PC-power supply
1 x ASUS DRW-24D5MT, DVD/CD slot
1 x Kingston HyperX SHSS37A/240G 240 GB, Solid State Drive
1 x Patriot DIMM 16GB DDR4-2133 Kit, RAM
1 x Intel® Core™ i7-6700, Processor
1 x LEPA Aquachanger 120, Watercooling
1 x Aerocool XPredator X1 Devil Red Edition, Tower
1 x ASUS B150-PLUS, Mainboard

This is what I got for now, obviously I need a HDD with some storage as well, but what do you think?

@saul ->
In gaming loads, the difference between ddr3 and ddr4 are nonexistent.
In gaming loads, the difference between 4790k and 6700k are absolutely negligible, usually within a margin of error. Most difference ive seen is a 5% increase in BENCHMARKING.

Saying ddr3 is "not wise" seems a short-sided comment to make without further rationale.

@op->
That aside, unless you can save some money going z97 route, you should still be looking at z170.

Some considerations
1) your psu choice can be better; we typically recommend EVGA's for new builds UNLESS you're getting a damn good deal on a lesser unit that still meets our (colloquially) more stringent requirements.
2) you can get 500gb SSD's for damn close to what you're spending on a 240gb nowadays. Larger SSD's have more benefits than simply "more storage". They have a longer life span, run faster, and are typically more reliable. (comparing apples to apples of course)
3) glad youre looking at the LEPA. A ridiculously under rated piece of kit. I recommend getting the 240, the price difference is pretty small
4) unless youre getting a good deal, your case choice is pretty "meh".
5) going the ddr4 route, 2133mhz is just silly to buy. You don't save much money by going (much) faster. Then again, for gaming loads, the differences between 2133 and 3000 are pretty insignificant mostly.
6) you're looking at the i7 6700... even if youre not overclocking, the 20$ more on the 6700k is more prudent.
7) Not a fan of that motherboard. For the money, youre in z170 territory. Again, even if youre not overclocking (at this time), getting a z170 board is more prudent

Lastly, for an 800$ from scratch build, the i7's probably shouldn't be in your radar. Id recommend getting an i5 with that budget. That extra 100$ goes a LONG way with graphics cards in that budget range.

Heres an i5 rig... WITHOUT a GPU... as you can see, youre at 700$ already.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/JgJQRG

with an 800$ budget, thats not leaving much room at all for a gpu.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Saul ->
In gaming loads, the difference between ddr3 and ddr4 are nonexistent.
In gaming loads, the difference between 4790k and 6700k are absolutely negligible, usually within a margin of error. Most difference ive seen is a 5% increase in BENCHMARKING.

Saying ddr3 is "not wise" seems a short-sided comment to make without further rationale.

Investing in DDR3 that will not be carried over to future builds just seems a waste of money to me, I wasn't even considering the speeds.

TC_071000 , any reason you are not going with the "k" version of the i7? The "k" versions are overclockable. Also, if the case will accommodate it, I would certainly move up to a 120x2 fan water cooling system. And I would move up to DDR4 3000 RAM. And for the RAM, make sure you get a "dual channel" kit instead of a single stick.

Case: Aerocool V3X Advance Evil Blue
PWR-supply: Xilence XP500R6 500 Watt Netzteil (80+)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170 Gaming M3, Intel H170
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600 4x 3.3GHz
Cooler: Alpenföhn Sella
RAM: 8GB DDR4-RAM PC-2133
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 Ti 4GB, Palit StormX
Storage: 1000GB S-ATA3, 600MB/Sek.
DVD 24x Dual-Layer
WLAN + Bluetooth Card Asus PCE-AC55BT 867 Mbit
G1 AUDIO + Soundblaster X-Fi

Since I'm on a budget I would go for this right now, but would it be worth it to go for the k version if I'm not going to overclock?

Back