• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ganna

Hey guys.
New to the forums, and new to building my own PC. I want an upgrade from my current gaming PC, and have been looking at some different parts and thrown together a list. My budget is about £1500, but I want to see what people who may have more experience in building PCs think of my current build:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Z9v8xY
Any parts that are known to cause issues when used with others in my build or alone?
If I overclock my CPU will it remain cool enough?
ETC

be gentle

HI, and welcome!

A few comments:

- I'd grab a high end air cooler (Raijintek Nemesis or NH-D15) instead of a 120mm AIO. If budget allows, and you're dead set on AIO LC, the Swiftech H220/H240X are great choice.
- MX-4 is a bit better than AS5, spread easier and holds longer.
- I would go with an EVGA 1070 ACX (better cooling, amazing customer support, step up program...)

I agree 100% on Evga. Awesome products and support. Strictly Gaming (on a budget) you will be more than ok with the i5-7600k. If you can find a decent z270 board I would definitely go z270 with 7th gen now that they are both out. And a lot of the 7th Asus boards have a lot of PWM headers so you won't need a fan controller, you can use software to control fans. But that's me. I'd pair the z270 with 7th gen and lose the fan controller if it were me. And think about whether you will really have a purpose for the i7 over the i5.

And unless you are dead set on a full tower, you will have plenty of room in a mid tower case and could probably save a few dollars getting something smaller like say the Carbide 400c or just another Mid tower. The 400c will not work if you need that 5.25 bay tho.

I prefer aio water myself but a good air cooler will probably save a couple bucks and perform as good as a 120.

Okay, thanks dude for the quick reply!
So I updated my part list a bit, with the following:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/swbsvV
It's giving me a warning about updating the BIOS, but I assume that would be a minor and relatively easy thing to do?
If everything is fine on my build now, do you have any idea of what I could overclock my CPU to? Thanks.

EDIT: Seeing as this is my first build, I want a full tower so that I will have no problems doing little fiddly tasks or anything like that, just in case and will spend extra if I have to for it.
Also I intend for this build to last me for quite a while, hoping that if I invest in a high end CPU at the moment then I won't have to make a new build or replace the CPU in a few years. That is also why I got the motherboard/space/gpu that will allow me to SLI later down the line.

Last edited:
Hi also from UK.

I'd also suggest looking for a Z270 mobo over a Z170 if for no other reason than you wont have to worry about the bios being too old to support the chip. While bios are available to support kaby lake, you might not be able to update to it using kaby lake.

I also think you can get same capacity Kingston 2666 ram for less than that Corsair 2400. Edit: can't find it now... gonna blame brexit for rising prices. Will have a look when home later to check exactly how much and where I got mine.

Yeah but does it come in black...
Thanks guys for all of the advice, its really helpful for a person like me who is new to building computers.
If I was to go for that cooler, or the one I have currently, is my build more or less complete?

Yeah but does it come in black...
Thanks guys for all of the advice, its really helpful for a person like me who is new to building computers.
If I was to go for that cooler, or the one I have currently, is my build more or less complete?

No, it doesn't come in black but you can change the fans... And it cools about 1 million times better than the NH-U9S ;)

I used to run a [email protected] before de-lid (4.9GHz after delid) on it, and it was on par with the Nepton 280L I had at the same time. There is nothing in this price range that will do such a good job.

I would go with the suggestions above for ram.. for DDR4 the "sweet spot" seems to be around the 3000 or 3200 sets.. if you want to overclock the memory I believe g.skill trident series works on samsung ICs, which usually oc rather well. Also plan ahead on cables.. SATA and fan cable extensions depending on where you're putting them.

Otherwise I think everything looks like it should work good.. good luck!

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xQypFd
So my final (?) build!
Thanks again for the help. Now its time to save a bit and plan out how I am going to do this.
On the actual build side, could I buy my parts over time and then build it once my final part comes, or would you recommend purchasing them all at once to avoid any damage in case I am unable to store the parts properly?
Also, when it comes to building the PC is it frowned upon to build the PC outside of the case with the essential parts, then transfer it into the case in order to make sure everything works?
ALSO is it worth investing in some anti-static material to build on, or will just a box that stuff has come in do?
Thanks...

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xQypFd
So my final (?) build!
Thanks again for the help. Now its time to save a bit and plan out how I am going to do this.
On the actual build side, could I buy my parts over time and then build it once my final part comes, or would you recommend purchasing them all at once to avoid any damage in case I am unable to store the parts properly?
Also, when it comes to building the PC is it frowned upon to build the PC outside of the case with the essential parts, then transfer it into the case in order to make sure everything works?
ALSO is it worth investing in some anti-static material to build on, or will just a box that stuff has come in do?
Thanks...

I usually install the cooler backplate on the Mobo first. Then mobo in the case->CPU->RAM->Cooler->SSD's/HDD's->PSU wiring/fans.

And not really need of anti static, just make sure you don't stand in socks on the carpet. Bare foot is best, to unload static.

Sure you could buy parts overtime, bt best is to get everything at once: new tech is out and the part you bought a couple of months ago loses 20/25% in value. It never goes the other way around.

So better wait for the money to be ready for all components.

Ya with some motherboards you are going to need a Skylake cpu in it to even update the bios to begin with so definitely get the z270 if you are going to get Kaby lake you should be able to find a decent board for around the same as a z170 anyway

So ya man that list looks pretty good. If you look around a little more you may be able to find a better deal on Ram but that is a pretty good choice. And your ssd I really think you might be able to find a better deal on a Sata ssd that will perform just as good as that. Like a PNY or Sandisc but that is pretty cheap as it is. All around looks good.

Last edited:
I also think you can get same capacity Kingston 2666 ram for less than that Corsair 2400. Edit: can't find it now... gonna blame brexit for rising prices. Will have a look when home later to check exactly how much and where I got mine.

I bought 2x8GB Kingston HyperX 2666 for £74 in September from ebuyer. Back to their website now, the exact same part is £133. WTF! 80% increase...

I'm willing to bet that the VAST majority, if not all, z170 boards would let KL in there to at least flash. I mean, it's the same thing like devils canyon was to Haswell...

Some features may not work/be available but, who cares, you are flashing out of the gate. ;)

If you have a chance to flash before... do it. Otherwise I bet it's ok...

Back