• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC feels a lot slower than it should

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TCPBryson

Registered
Thank you a head of time for your help.
I built my pc about a year and half ago and it has been slow to boot since day 1. I am running windows 7 64bit and turning on the computer takes almost 8 minutes to 10 minutes to get to where it is functioning. It is this way even if I disable all start up programs. I have a laptop that runs windows 7 and it boots in and is operational almost immediately so I think it is my setup. I will list setup below:

Field Value
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
4x2gig of OCZ ddr2 1066 ram ( i have tried with 2x2 and same issue)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (currently at 60 degrees C)
650 watt ultra power supply
500gig Sata Samsung HD502Hi ATA Device (this is partitioned but the main drive is the only one used others have been erased.)

The full summary from Everest utility is attached.

Thank you again if you see anything that sticks out this was my first build so not sure where I went wrong or maybe just thinking a six core 8 gig setup would be alot faster than my old Kathlon amd 1.8 512mb setup was wrong.

one thing i notice is that is only a 5400 rpm hard drive and its an eco series, but that shouldnt cause it to take that long to boot up as i have an old 180gb IDE drive that boots win7 in about a minute or less.
was the hard drive new when it went in the rig? if not was the windows install for that matter?

The Hard drive was new (and here I thought I was upgrading with the Sata from my old IDE lol) also the windows installation was new. thank you.

well i mean its not the fastest thing in the world, but 10 mins is a little crazy! lol run hdtune and see what the transfer speeds are on it. also try to plug it in a different sata port maybe? that is the only thing i can think of as the rest of the system seems to be more than upto par

I just did a full defrag last week, although using the hd tune it was running around 100mb/sec until I tried to open a program like firefox or dreamweaver then it dropped to 1mb/sec while the program was loading. I know it's usually better to do a total reboot if changing hard drives but is it possible to image the whole drive onto a new one so that I won't have to reinstall and configure everything?

using super antispyware, malwarebytes, and avg. AVG is the only one i let run in the background though. Ran the scan yesterday before the hd tune so hopefully shouldn't be anything in the way, the hdtune error scan just came through as 0 errors.

Back