• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC gamers, pepare to be OWNED!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember seeing pictures by an CG rendering of "what may be" next gen games will look like. The two pictures I saw was Need For Speed and a picture from that video monstered showed us. This is a marketing move by the company, nothing more and nothing less.

theMonster said:
They may not be in-game shots, but I haven't seen anything on the PC to match it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present X-box360 running Madden2006. Enjoy!

http://www.xbox2-news.com/e107_images/xbox2/madden_nfl_nextgen_1.wmv

well until you have in game screen shots you have nothing to brag about. I'v seen better pre-rendered vids on year old pc games. not to mention you just can't do as much with an x-box as you can with a computer and a high speed connection.

I don't think consoles will ever have anything on a well built PC

we dont need ppl telling us cut scenes from a console game are better than pcgaming .... u wonna play madden go to gamespot forums your looking forward to fear/hl2aftermath your at home

First off, i have to say that that video is pre-rendered. and its not that great anyways.

remember a year or two ago, those short Matrix films? That first one with the guy and woman fighting. That was created By SquareSoft at the time ( now Square-Enix )

I'v seen better Pre-rendered video's from 2 years ago.

PC's will always own Consoles. It takes consoles 3-4+ years to get an upgrade. It takes PC's less than a year. and we have new processors, faster ram, better Video cards.

And what news on the PS3? anyone see any screen shots from that yet?

theMonster said:
Flame all you like but these machines are sporting multiple 4ghz processors and a graphics core that is a year away on the PCs.

The graphics core are not a year away. If anything, a year behind. They are always developed in a sense of PC as a priority, then consoles after. The technology has always come from pre-made technology that was originally developed for PC. And, 4ghz processors? I think there is probably something fishy going on with that, as the advancements in todays processors are just getting to dual cores, and people are wanting to state 3 9 core 4ghz processors? Plus the heat generated would be absurd to even be logical. Its not the processor speed at all, its the fact that they run on 128-bits

PC >> Xbox. That has to be pre-rendered, and even if it wasn't look at some games like Doom 3, personally I think Doom 3 looks better than that video.

PLUS not everyone has a huge high-def TV to play on. Even if they do, component connections are good, but Digital is the way to do.

So untill everyone owns a super high-def TV, PC's will be on top. And even if everyone does own a super high-def TV, the hardware to do amazing things in real game play is too expensive to put into a console. Think of trying to fit a full 6800 and a full 3ghz processor in a console, cost alone won't allow it.

plus the fact, PCGUY, that they are not talking about 1 3ghz processor, but 3 4 GHz processors, that are not your standard PC processors, with 1 (or soon to be 2) cores, but PowerPC 9 core processors <begin skepticism here>

pc's are always better for games than consoles, just cuz the games are better. no console games can really hold your interest and have replayability like pc games, except for like halo. but i'm hoping XboX 360 will buck that trend with some GOOD games w/online play and some crazy nice r520 inspired graphics. if it's only $300, and has some solid games i'll be on that like [insert witty saying] :D

theMonster said:
No, not enough time. Rendering takes massive CPU power. Replays are available as soon as the whistle blows in football games.

Flame all you like but these machines are sporting multiple 4ghz processors and a graphics core that is a year away on the PCs. Sure the PC will catch up and surpass but not as quickly as before. Also consider that this machine is going to be $299 without hard-drive and $399 with. I can't get a x800 or 6800GT for that now can I? I have a feeling we're starting to hit a threshhold of technology here and we're not going to see massive improvements so quickly anymore. 5 year shelf life of a console may get extended to 7-8 now.

Not going to happen. The technology is going to keep advancing, if anything consoles will have a shorter lifespan, not a longer one. This whole uproar happens whenever a new console is released. Only time will tell, I'm just stating what I've learned/seen from history - PC's catch up almost instantaniously, if they ever really fall behind in the first place.

And for the record, you CAN get a 6800GT for that amount: (1 day sale <$300)
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195&ATT

[edit:]
As for the argument of graphics of that calibur not being possible because of cost restraints, keep in mind that M$, Sony, and Nintendo will be selling these units at insane losses.

No console maker has ever gotten rich of selling the actual consoles. They get your money through the games, subscription services, and all the add-ons.

well i notice alot of people forget to take into consideration that the FMV's of console games are usually CG on a more powerful system and put in a read only video format so there fore it could be live action acting on a video file not taxing the systems properties at all.

that ea game looks like that. granted this new x box should look pretty decent but if they have another generation like the last x box i think it'll be the last.

i've noticed its a rare occurance to have 2 or more sucessful consoles in a row or be as sucessful for as long as the atari 2600 was.

Im pretty sure the xbox360 video card is based on the ATI r520 core design

Im also pretty sure that the r520s are scheduled for releease this summer, or at least in the fall

First of all, multiple processors means NOTHING if your games arnt multithreaded, second of all are you sure you guys arnt getting the consoles confused with which ones have cell technology and which ones are powerPC

Systems arnt where MS makes there money, its the games, at least im pretty sure, hence they can take a hit on the systems, because they will make it up in sales on games

HL2 Graphics >> that prerendered video IMO

Also TheMonster, note that your video card is a 6200 and hence is not giving you the best video performance on your computer. Im not sure if you have, but take a look at the video on an x850 or 6800U, or even a 9800Pro, for a better comparison

Hmm....Lots to think about. But i really wouldnt want to play a game that changes cameras every 2 seconds and can see nowhere except the players face. Saying that i do not believe that was ingame play, and sooner or later consoles are just going to end up being mini-computers, thats what their evolving to be.

That's impressive for a console, but it didn't exactly blow my skirt up, so to speak.

I'm not about to sell my PC just to buy an Xbox 360 'cause of one pre-rendered video.

Does it look nice? Sure. Is it a PC killer? No.

consoles are convienient and fun to the core. it's easy; it works (usually :) ) and you can get lots of folks together. pc games tend to be more exacting; the controls are not as comfortable or fluid, but the possibilities are many over consoles. nice thing about pc gaming (as long as you don't buy the most expensive stuff all the time) is that everything (minus your vid card perhaps) creates a FASTER PC FOR EVERYTHING ELSE YOU DO. let's face it: few of us would pc game if we didn't use our pc's for a myriad of other things.

Back