• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PC locks up during gaming with R9 390X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tracking is seldom accurate bud. See what happens Monday....and I don't mean 6am Monday. Usually most stuff is updated by 5pm.

Scott! Long time no see buddy.

Well, after kicking the issue up the chain with Asus I find out there was a problem with the RMA. Apparently, they made a mistake when giving me the address so the card was mailed to the wrong facility. The CSR took the time to update my case and they are going to have to reroute the card to a different service center. Thankfully, wherever the card is going it is still in CA.

Scott! Long time no see buddy.

Well, after kicking the issue up the chain with Asus I find out there was a problem with the RMA. Apparently, they made a mistake when giving me the address so the card was mailed to the wrong facility. The CSR took the time to update my case and they are going to have to reroute the card to a different service center. Thankfully, wherever the card is going it is still in CA.
It has been a while hasn't it. :)

At least you know they have it. Patience. Maybe they'll comp you something for the inconvenience. You never know.

Well, I knew I wasn't being crazy and paranoid for nothing and something about the situation stunk.

They already have given me a comp once before when I sent them a 280X they couldn't fix and they sent me a 390X. I mean, what's next? A R9 Fury? I am being patient though now that they are aware that it's in the wrong place.

I'm just insanely curious, but did you ever fix the pins on that 965 chip?

I'm just insanely curious, but did you ever fix the pins on that 965 chip?

Lol. Believe it or not, it's still on my todo list. It's totally repairable, just haven't had the need or kick in the pants to do it yet. It's only 2 pins and I have plenty of donors.

Lol, idle hands are the tools of the devil! Kidding. I'm curious what you would do with it if you ever did fix it.

I still have that Athlon dinosaur. :sly:

even play browser games and I could even bench the card just fine in 3DMark 11, but anytime I tried to run any D3D modern game it would lock up with the buzzing sound looping through the speakers.
No performance issues in the game other than the total freeze up with the looping buzzing sound.

Now I've had this happen to me quite some time ago. It was not G pu related. It was C pu.

OK lemme give a short story then exactly what happened.

I was testing an opteron's ability to run at very high temps at load. 80+C and up to and exceeding 100+c. Not a common thing to do, but I was absolutely amazed by the out come. It was an opteron 165. Not the one I've submitted to HWBot but a different one. This one could do 3.2ghz stable. After torching this processor, I put it in my main rig with water cooling. Kept it nice and cool. Ran great. Never an issue. Until one day just a few weeks later....

This cpu would lock up. Loop sounds (very annoying) still picture in game. Was able to benchmark. But running games after a period of time would do exactly what you mention above. Then this problem became more frequent. happening sooner in game. I decided I better try this cpu stock after diagnosing all other components. I did well for a while actually. Then the issue started again. Raising voltage made it worse. underclocking and undervolting made it better.

Then after one good lock up repeated loop and still screen.... the CPU DIED. never posted again.

The End.

Since I don't normally overclock video cards, I don't see this happen with video cards. I've seen from OC GPU screen tearing, black screens, and driver drops, but never a looping sound on a frozen screen.

I have seen this with 90nm Athlons, opterons, 45nm Phenom and one of my FX chips has done it as well. It's a scary sight.

When I see my AMD processor loop sounds, I know it's about done for.

For your sake, I really hope it's the graphics processing unit.

Oh let me add. Cpu damage as a result of high heat, high voltage and overclocking.

Curious, is your cpu purchased used? Have you abused this processor perhaps?

Last edited:
Lol shrimp, I just replied to you in the other thread...Hold on a sec, I'm going to merge the info back over here...

The GPU issue actually is a fairly common one and if you google "pc freezes with buzzing sound during gaming" you will see a ton of results in other forum threads of people experiencing a similar issue. There are also quite a bit of videos about it on youtube like this one here. Skip to about 1:06 in the video and that is essentially what is happening to me, the only difference is his screen goes dark while the image stays frozen on mine. The sound is the same.

Before I sent the card back to Asus I did do some pretty extensive troubleshooting to test stability and investigate various hardware components through a process of elimination before isolating what I thought to be the culprit. I checked the ram out with memtest86 and win10's memory diagnostic tool. All good. I ran prime95 small ffts, blend tests, and in-place large ffts running the tests more than an hour each. The pc didn't crash, freeze, or fail. It's also worthy to note that all the components in my gaming rig are all retail new in the box.

When I got the R9 390X I originally installed it my old PC, but it wasn't running right in that machine locking up with the buzzing sound in that machine. Come to find out the motherboard was failing. I didn't use the 390X more than two or three times in the old PC and when I learned the mobo was at fault I ended up turning it off, unplugging the PSU, and just not using the computer anymore. I ordered all new parts and built a whole new machine even down to the chassis with new fans, the only two components I transferred over to the new machine were the gpu and the psu. The PSU is good as new itself because it is less than a month old, it was the last component I replaced in the old PC before learning the mobo was going out and decided to build the new rig.

So when pretty much the same issue started happening in the new comp this is when things started getting real frustrating. With the the prime95 and memory testing without errors, trying different drivers without success and when the lowest common denominator between two machines experiencing the same problem is the gpu, I came to the conclusion the gpu is what had to be at fault.

I'm going to compose an online support request detailing the issue in full and send it to AMD to see what they say. I actually like AMD's techs since they tend to be more knowledgeable than the ones working for other manufacturers. Some of the people who answer the phone at Asus sound like they barely know how to operate windows so they don't really project confidence in being tech savy enough to troubleshoot a complicated problem. However, if the AMD techs say send it back then I will RMA it as well during the same time while I am waiting on the gpu.

Curious, is your cpu purchased used? Have you abused this processor perhaps?
Nope and no. New in the box, stock speed, haven't tried to overclock it.

If it is the CPU the only thing I can think of would be the aftermarket cooler is inadequate. Maybe if I send the request to AMD I can get a wrait out of them. I really don't want to use the stock one, it's too damn loud.

Last edited:
From the other thread:

Done. It's probably the processor. We'll find out when you get your new card back. hopefully it's not the cpu. You'll see the post in your GPU thread.

I've never seen a video card loop sounds. I've seen screen tears, black screens and driver drops. But never a lock up and audio looping. The cpu usually handles audio.
Side, note, looping sounds couldbe from the GPU, particularly if you are using the onboard audio of the GPU. That or whatever may be wrong with the GPU affects the sound card. I have seen a GPU affect sound enough not to count it out.

Cool. Well I am glad to hear it's likely the GPU. I've never encountered this, but haven't run an ATI card in a pretty very long time.

Just thought I'd share my experiences and thoughts here. I do know CPU can do the same thing and usually not a good sign for any hardware really.

Thanks for clarification. Hope the RMA works out!

Thanks shrimp, I'm sure it will. It's going to take time, but it should work out fine.

I didn't want you to feel left out or your input was undervalued so I sent a detailed description to AMD and asked them at the end if they thought the CPU could be playing a role in the problem. We will see what they say.

Last edited:
I heard back from AMD, pretty quick response actually, and interestingly enough this is what they had to say:
As I understand that you are not able to run the 3D game in your system and you want the wraith cooler. If I have missed out on critical information on your email please get back to me as my suggestions may change. But do not worry as I am here to help you. Since you mentioned that you have returned your graphics card to ASUS, I need to get the feedback on your new graphics card. Once Asus returns you the graphics card, check back and let me know the 3D gaming status. We are unable to help you out with Wraith cooler [jerk offs]. This cooler is specifically bundled with FX 8370 processors. And we don’t have any standalone Wraith coolers. Your system has a decent configuration to perform well. I suggest you to use the liquid cooler in your system to keep your system calm and to perform well while gaming. I Hope the above suggestions will help you in resolving the issues and in case if you need any further assistance please do get back to me as I would be happy to help you out.
I guess this is AMD's way of saying, yea, it's possible the CPU is overheating and playing a part in the problem. The ghetto interpretation would be: B**ch, you need to go liquid and stop whining!

Well my Rma got approved and company is sending out a 390x replacement, will let you know how that goes when it gets here. I did figure out that one of my issues was with my cpu, the mobo im using had some pretty bad vcore droop that cause the processor to become unstable at factory turbo clocks, that has now been fixed.

I have also become convinced that part of my issue was the CPU overheating even though I didn't overclock it simply due to the inadequate aftermarket cooler. Looking at that thing the silver aluminum contact base doesn't cover the entire surface area of the processor and it doesn't have heat pipes. Kind of dumb for me to put it on there. :bang head

I think when my card gets back and with a better cooler my issue should go away completely.

Might have been a little bit of both. The 390x locked up the old PC just like it did the new one although all the components were different. I'm saying that the CPU overheating could very well have been a contributing factor meaning that the GPU was malfunctioning because the CPU was overheating is a likely scenario.

Last edited:
ive just skimmed through but did you install a fresh OS? if not did you run DDU like suggested in the first page?

...did you install a fresh OS? if not did you run DDU like suggested in the first page?
Yes, I did a clean reinstall - deleted the partition, recreated it and then reformatted it - and when trying out various driver packages I did use DDU when changing drivers.

Last edited:
UPDATE!
Card is due back in a few days. Asus said it passed all benchmarks, all the I/O ports worked fine, and it remained stable after four hours of testing. So, they just couldn't find anything wrong with the GPU and it's on the way back. I am going to check the TIM application when it gets back.

All the evidence at the moment is pointing to the CPU overheating due to the crappy HSF I had on it. Shrimpster was one of the first that said it was the processor and I believe him so I decided to go with a liquid AIO. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue and will allow the system to remain stable while gaming.

Back