• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Restarts when I turn off/on TV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bamato

So it's been a while since I've been on here. I recently switched from my AMD setup listed in my sig to an Intel board (last week), Asus Maximus IX Hero with an I7 7700k. I've also had a 1070 for the last 6 months. After the switch, I have this annoying problem that if I turn off the TV that's connected to my PC, then turn it back on again, the PC restarts. It keeps running in the background if I leave the TV off, as I can run a youtube vid and continue to get audio through my audio receiver, but as soon as I turn the TV back on, it restarts the PC. I've checked all my power settings, no sleep or hibernate modes are enabled. Kind of at a loss here, any suggestions? Are there settings in the bios I'm missing? The only changes in the bios I've made are enabling the xmp profile so the ram runs at 3000mhz and the cpu runs at 4.5.

Thanks guys!

To me it sounds like you are pulling too much power from your power circuit. Most household circuits are 15 amps which allows you 1800 watts max. My guess is that the startup spike in power creates a brown-out situation causing your machine to crash. My guess rests on the notion that your AMD setup took less power and the Intel system has a slightly larger draw.

If you're gonna fiddle with the power in the wall, be careful to follow any and all precautions.

perhaps CEC coming into play? also i had a weird issue at my apartment when i turned the kitchen light off it would kill my pc but then it would power right back on with the light still off never made sense to me only did it on occasion.

I can't imagine a power issue in all honesty. But I won't rule it out. I'll try running an extension cord for the PC to an outlet a few feet away on a separate circuit to see if it helps.

Whats, CEC?

Also, I pulled out the HDMI cable from the 1070, waited a sec or two, and plugged it back in, the PC didn't restart. I was thinking maybe the TV has some sort of HDMI handshake it's invoking upon power up, but I don't have any control over hdmi protocols enabled.

I would check all the BIOS settings in the Power On section, any software for the graphics card, Windows power settings, reinstall graphics drivers after uninstalling all previous versions.

After I made sure the "different outlet" was indeed on a different circuit with a different breaker, etc..

I can't imagine a power issue in all honesty. But I won't rule it out. I'll try running an extension cord for the PC to an outlet a few feet away on a separate circuit to see if it helps.

Whats, CEC?

Also, I pulled out the HDMI cable from the 1070, waited a sec or two, and plugged it back in, the PC didn't restart. I was thinking maybe the TV has some sort of HDMI handshake it's invoking upon power up, but I don't have any control over hdmi protocols enabled.

Had to look that one up myself:

Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is a feature of HDMI designed to allow users to command and control devices connected through HDMI[1][2] by using only one remote control. For example, by using the remote control of a television set to control a set-top box and or DVD player. Up to 15 devices can be controlled. CEC also allows for individual CEC-enabled devices to command and control each other without user intervention.

Are you using a remote to power on the TV?

yeah sorry i guess i could have explained.

like i have mine setup to where when my firetv wakes up it turns on the tv and my surround sound through hdmi and when any of the devices are turned off it turns off the others.

I'm 99% sure using the power button on the TV does the same thing, but I'll check again when I go home. I was thinking it was some kind of HDMI control thing too. But I can't find any settings on my TV that are turned on for that. It's weird. Maybe I'm missing something in windows or the nvidia control panel?

OK. This has taken a turn that I didn't even know existed. Thanks guys.

I'm 99% sure using the power button on the TV does the same thing, but I'll check again when I go home. I was thinking it was some kind of HDMI control thing too. But I can't find any settings on my TV that are turned on for that. It's weird. Maybe I'm missing something in windows or the nvidia control panel?

idk id have to look, but on the TV its a setting almost always labeled as just CEC or hdmi control or something similar. its pretty neat. like my tv knows the receiver is there and turns off the tv speakers and the tv remote adjusts the volume on the receiver via hdmi. and when the firetv is the one turning everything on it makes sure the receiver is on the correct hdmi input and the tv is as well.

to throw another thing in the mix my echo dot i say "alexa watch fire tv" and it turns everything on via the firetv via wifi via hdmi lol.

On my LG TV, it's called Simplink I believe. Which is disabled. On my Yamaha RXV681, it's called HDMI control (also encompasses ARC function) and both are disabled. It has to be something software related in the PC or firmware related in the bios, but I can't find anything..

On my LG TV, it's called Simplink I believe. Which is disabled. On my Yamaha RXV681, it's called HDMI control (also encompasses ARC function) and both are disabled. It has to be something software related in the PC or firmware related in the bios, but I can't find anything..

i saw a post somewhere that someone had to flash their bios when they had this issue https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=258103.0 dont know if its related but worth a shot.

edit: i re-read it appears it didnt fix the issue. no idea buddy :(
herse a google search with alot of info i dont have time to scroll through it all but it seems like a common issue with nvidia cards and hdmi tv's
https://www.google.com/search?q=pc+...rome..69i57.8392j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

you might wanna look and see if you can disable auto detect monitors or somethin of the likes in the nvidia control panel it might becausing a bsod that you cant see because the monitor is off.

Last edited:
So I've gone through the bios a few times now, and still don't see anything enabled that could cause this. I'll try disabling the monitor auto detect. I noticed this morning that if I never turn my TV on, and I start the TV and receiver, as soon as I do turn the tv on the pc restarts. So it's definitely the "turning on" that's causing the pc to restart.

So, new development. If I enable the machine to turn off the monitor in windows settings after a set amount of time, once the PC turns off monitor output, I can turn the TV off and on again without it restarting. Not sure if that's significant or not.

I also didn't see any settings for auto detecting the monitor anywhere in windows 10 or the nvidia control panel.

So, new development. If I enable the machine to turn off the monitor in windows settings after a set amount of time, once the PC turns off monitor output, I can turn the TV off and on again without it restarting. Not sure if that's significant or not.

I also didn't see any settings for auto detecting the monitor anywhere in windows 10 or the nvidia control panel.

Hi Bamato, I have a very similar issue and similar setup (LG TV and Yamaha RX471 receiver).
only thing I can add is that mine also restarts if I change the TV input from the HDMI to an app or DVB/T and then go back to the receiver HDMI.
can you please elaborate on the solution? where did you change the setting and how do you power up / down the TV without causing the restart?

Back