• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"PC won't boot with new Abit NF7-S Mobo...starts too, then restarts..?!?!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterChief1128

Registered
"PC won't boot with new Abit NF7-S Mobo...starts too, then restarts..?!?!"

Just got finished installing my new Abit NF7-S mobo, everything looked cool and stuff....until I tried to boot it up. The farthest I ever got was where the Windows XP loading screen would *START* to fade in, but then after like 1 sec the PC would just reboot...

So, I cleared the CMOS, loosened my Thermalright 947u (I've had problems booting when it was too tight in the past, but what would happen then was that the screen would show NOTHING at all). Anyways, I also tried using an older CPU (an Athlon 1800+ instead of my Barton 2500+) and still no go. So I tried the stock Barton heatsink, and still it won't work...

Soo, I then noticed that the Abit mobo came with a floppy disk that looked like might be mobo drivers. So, I put it in my floppy drive and turn my PC on. I go in and change ALL THREE of the first boot devices to floppy (just to make sure -_-). Well, apparently the floppy drive wasn't working because it didn't read the disk AND the little green light would turn on when I booted my PC and STAY ON until I turned it off. So, I tried 2 other different IDE cable AND 2 other floppy drives, to no avail.

Right now, I'm pretty ****ed off 'cause everything was working fine before, and now it's all screwed up.

So is there ANY way that I could boot my PC or get the damn floppy drive to work?

Please, ANY ANY ideas you have, lemme know and I'll try them.

Thanks guys.

If the floppy light is on and stays on, then turn the floppy connector upside down. The light staying on means the cable's in wrong.

The IDE cable or the little 4-pin power connector? If you mean the IDE cable, I don't think I can turn it the other way because of the little pin that sticks out on the one side.

thats what i thought too....u dont need that floppy, thats not your problem. the disc says "SATA Drivers" right on it. You dont need that. Your problem is not their.

One question you said you came until the windows screen. So I asume that you have windows already installed. If this is the case and the NF7 is new you didn't made a fresh install. Am i right on this?

If yes you will have to format the disk and install windows again. :cry:

what are your temps? maybe the HS is not seated properly. because I know their has been some compatability issues w/ the 947U nd the NF7-S.....

You can check the cpu temperature in your bios. There's an option where if it gets to a certain temperature the computer shuts down. Maybe that's enabled and you don't know it.

The light on floppy staying on means you've got one side of the floppy cable incorrect. You need to redo one side. The red line on the cable usually should be on the side of the power connector.

A bad floppy drive will NOT cause your system not to boot into Windows. A bad floppy drive will stop you during POST.

As for rebooting while getting to the Windows screen, either your Windows XP is corrupt, or your BIOS settings are too extreme (if you are overclocking). If it's memory, tone down your memory timings. If it's FSB or multiplier, lower them. Increasing voltage may help too if you are OCing.

Good luck.

I just installed my NF7 motherboard today and had the same problem. Re-installing windows fixed it right up.

Back