• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC won’t start, it makes 4 beeps and keeps trying to start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

Today when I tried to start my pc the fans and box lights will come on but it makes 4 beeps, turns off and then turns back on and does the same thing over and over. How can I figure out what’s not working?

Start with looking in the motherboard manual if you have one, or google the motherboard model number and look for the manual there. You should then be able to check the error code and what 4 beeps mean, hopefully that will tell you what’s wrong and hopefully it’s not a generic error code.

Once you have done that, hopefully you find the issue. If not I am sure between everyone the problem can be found.

I would start with the RAM. Pull the closest stick and replace it with the other. If that's not it then check any add-in PCIe devices including graphics. Strip it down to the essentials, CPU, RAM, and graphics see if you can get to BIOS. It helps if you have known working HW to swap in and out If all else fails it's likely the motherboard.

Started with the ram and it turns out it was that. Thanks for your help!

Back