• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC WONT START

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rog1121

Registered
OK so I was changing my voltage settings and when i finished a restarted my computer. It started but without the Monitor Working. I though ok so i took out the battery and put it back. Reboot and still the same thing :confused:. OK so i took out the ATX cable and reconnected it. Now it got even worse. The PC DID NOT EVEN START. Please ANY help would be appreciated.

OK so I was changing my voltage settings and when i finished a restarted my computer. It started but without the Monitor Working. I though ok so i took out the battery and put it back. Reboot and still the same thing :confused:. OK so i took out the ATX cable and reconnected it. Now it got even worse. The PC DID NOT EVEN START. Please ANY help would be appreciated.

plus i set the voltage down and not up so i dont think its mu thats the problem

Yup, sounds like it.

I'd suggest getting a new PSU, try for a Corsair, they make quality PSU's.

Also if you want another test, try this

Just don't touch the paper clip while the PSU is powered on.

They bridged the green wire to any black wire on the 24 pin for the mobo, they also plugged a case fan into the PSU just to see if it works.

I saw in the comments a guy said that he tried this and his pSU started smoking. are you sure its any black wire?

Yep any black cable, I think the guy who commented did it incorrectly, if you don't want to risk it then don't risk it.

It's just another test, don't hold me responsible for something that happens :p

Yep, any green to any black wire on the 20/24 pin main power connector. That doesn't prove the PSU is good for powering up a computer, however. It could still have a bad capacitor or other component and give enough power to spin a fan but not enough to power a whole system.

Rog1121, just a word of caution. When you do things like reset the cmos/bios, either by changing the jumpers or removing/replacing the battery like you did, first unplug the psu and don't plug it back in again until you replace the jumper to the original position or put the battery back in. If you fail to do this, you risk permanent corruption to your cmos/bios.

I've tested PSUs that way plenty of times and even have one wired permanently like that because it's not hooked up to a board. (I wanted a separate power supply for my 4x RAID array and it's fan.) ;) It's just a matter of closing that (green wire) circuit so the PSU thinks it's supposed to be on.

BTW - While it may be prudent to not touch the paper clip it's just not a killer if you do. By not touching it you eliminate the possibility of static going into the circuit but I've actually left the PSU plugged in and turned on then jumped the circuit with the paper clip by hand. It's not that big a deal ... :shrug:

I've tested PSUs that way plenty of times and even have one wired permanently like that because it's not hooked up to a board. (I wanted a separate power supply for my 4x RAID array and it's fan.) ;) It's just a matter of closing that (green wire) circuit so the PSU thinks it's supposed to be on.

BTW - While it may be prudent to not touch the paper clip it's just not a killer if you do. By not touching it you eliminate the possibility of static going into the circuit but I've actually left the PSU plugged in and turned on then jumped the circuit with the paper clip by hand. It's not that big a deal ... :shrug:

Oh, I thought if you touched it you'd get a blast of electricity, like plugging a gold chain into an electrical outlet when you're 6 thinking it'd be cool :-/

Oh, I thought if you touched it you'd get a blast of electricity, like plugging a gold chain into an electrical outlet when you're 6 thinking it'd be cool :-/

Well, its only 12 volts anyway and if all you've got hooked to it is a fan, it's not drawing much amperage.

I doubt the green circuit is even 5v, though I guess it could be. Unless it has a lot of amps behind it you'd never feel 5v. I mean, the only way 9v low amp can be detected (without tools) is through the tongue ... :p

Yep any black cable, I think the guy who commented did it incorrectly, if you don't want to risk it then don't risk it.

It's just another test, don't hold me responsible for something that happens :p

OK the PSU is dead. Is there Any way I can test the MOBO to make sure i didnt fry it

OK the PSU is dead. Is there Any way I can test the MOBO to make sure i didnt fry it

None that I know of. You'll just have to wait until you get your new PSU and check the mobo as part of the integrated system.

Back