• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc3200 /-/ pc4000 /-/ pc4400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ginigwunkle

Registered
im looking at getting some new ram. 1gb / 2gb kit

im currently running 1GB(2x512mb) corsair value pc3200 ddr
on a abit-ul8 motherboard with AMD 643800+(12x230mhz)

what i was wondeing was if i could run higher speed ram on it such as pc4000/4400 at any increase or loss in performance...

I'm still new at this o/c business, but here's my stab at it. [someone with better knowledge please correct me if i'm wrong :) ]
If you plan on leaving your cpu o/c where it's at, higher quality ddr400 RAM may get you tighter timings and/or higher frequencies with divider. i'd say decent chance of one or the other [depending on your current stable timings].
If you want to o/c your cpu a LOT more, go with some ddr500 or better. The faster the RAM is, your timings are going to slowly have to loosen up [whether it's rated at ddr500 or just o/c'ed to it]. browsing around newegg the other day, i don't remember seeing many sticks of ddr500 [or better] that were rated better than CAS 2.5, which IMO isn't bad for that kind of speed.
I would say that any gain you get [either mhz or timings] will be an increase in performance. whether it's one that you can visually notice or not is hard to say for sure.

Back