• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI express 1.0 vs. PCI express 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bsn1989

Hi everybody, I just bought a Dell Precision 670 Workstation. 2 2.8 Xeons with 3GB of DDR2 400 and a weak PCI Express 1.0 128mb ATI card. I wanna know how compatible PCI Express 2.0 is with PCI Express 1.0. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316 I wanna buy this card so I can play some decent games on it. I also was wondering if it was too much juice because the PCI Express slot on the board supports cards up to 150 watts. Thanks guys :)

Does the PSU have a 6 pin PCIe connector? If not you'll have to use an adapter which is kinda sketchy IMHO. Also, are those the old P4 type Xeons? If so you might run into issues running 'decent games' on the thing to begin with :)

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate it! Yeah they are pretty much p4 Xeons but still im looking at BF2 and UT2003. in my eyes those are "decent" games ;) And no my PSU does not have a six pin PCIe connector.

Yeah deffinately, go raid 0 for speed or raid 1. With raid 0 if one hdd dies then all data is lost so i would recondmend raid 1 but if it is speed you are looking for...

Back