• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIe 2.0 or Not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bopbop

Registered
I am not sure if this is the right place for it to ask but here goes.

I am building a Budget PC and I would like to know if will it matter if the board has PCIe 2.0 or not? I have a HD 4670 that I want to run it with this mobo without PCIe 2.0

What are the benefits of having the PCIe 2.0?

Thanks!

No, it won't matter. PCIe 2.0 basically doubles the available bandwidth, so a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot would have the same throughput as a PCIe 1.0 x16 slot.

But there aren't many cards out that need more than the PCIe 1.0 bandwidth, and certainly a 4670 isn't going to be limited by it.

No, it won't matter. PCIe 2.0 basically doubles the available bandwidth, so a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot would have the same throughput as a PCIe 1.0 x16 slot.

But there aren't many cards out that need more than the PCIe 1.0 bandwidth, and certainly a 4670 isn't going to be limited by it.
+1.. Even the mighty 5870 only shows a 1-2% loss with a PCIe2.0 8x slot (which is equal to PCIe1.1 16x as OldT mentioned).

Back