• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier cooling of water reservoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhilK

Hi!!

We need some cooling expert advice for our scientific experiment (bubbles.epfl.ch).

We would like to cool a water reservoir containing 6l. of distilled water to temperatures as close as possible to 0°C.

We were thinking of a Peltier cooling system similar as the ones used for CPUs:
- having a water pipe from the reservoir to a water block and back to the reservoir
- the water block in contact with the cold side a Peltier element
- connecting the hot side of the Peltier to a radiator+fan system

=> Do you know if such a system would succeed in reducing the T of 6 l. of water to close to 0°C?
Do you have recommendations on components to buy for this system(i am looking at the Innovatek devices)?
Do you have other systems in mind ?

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to the forums. This is the correct section for your question, so I've deleted your other duplicate thread in intel cpus as that kind of question doesn't belong in that section.

Extreme Cooling stays pretty busy so I would guess someone will be along that can help answer your questions.

:beer:

The awkward part is that as you approach a 0c water temp the block itself will be <0c and ice will start forming. Once ice starts forming heat transfer drops and you risk cracking the lid off the block.

I think what I would do is attach the pet to the reservoir itself, either making the reservoir out of aluminum/copper or putting the pelt on top with a cooling finger that sticks down into it.
That way if some ice forms it doesn't risk killing the CPU block.

That said, how close to 0c are you looking for? You may be able to get the same results by tossing a bunch of ice into a bucket and using that as your cooling loop with a filter to keep the ice out of your reservoir.

Back