• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier Power Question (new to this)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

5|*42

I was thinking about playing around with Peltier cooling, but first wondered if the Peltier I am looking at is even powerful enough to cool a CPU (I have an AMD 64 3200, socket 754). The Peltier specs are "70W (~170 BTU) heat pumping possible. 8A max, 16V max, Draws 6A@ 12VDC L: 1-11/16" W: 1-9/16" T: .127 WT: .06". I can get it for about 18 bucks, would that be worth it?
Thanks.

No, it won't be able to cool that CPU.

You would need atleast a 172w Tec, and even that really isn't enough.

Aidenswarrior said:
anyone know if it would work directly on a hard drive?

What would you cool on the HDD? Its only 40x40mm or 50x50mm. Plus you will need to cool the hot side, and in most cases air cooling is not going to be enough.

newest addition to sig, raptors raid 0, peltered -5C idle, -3C seek, 0C write :p

seems a bit overkill for hard drives, even watercooled drives are overkill, just a good fan will suffice.

godofgorks said:
newest addition to sig, raptors raid 0, peltered -5C idle, -3C seek, 0C write :p

seems a bit overkill for hard drives, even watercooled drives are overkill, just a good fan will suffice.

So that is with WC too? Or did you just put the pelt on with a HS? And also how strong was it?
Thanks for all the replies so far.

well it is possible, but you would have to cool the hot side of the peltier with either a large heatsink or water depending on the size of the TEC, and also there is no need to super cools a harddrive...

so yea, it can be done but it'd be a cumbersome apperatus that cost a decent chunk of change and is frivilous

Back