• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 4 3Ghz/800Mhz Northwood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DohDoh

Hello,

I have myself a Pentium 4 3Ghz/800Mhz CPU chip. What is the common overclocking specs on this particular chip? I haven't begun to overclock this bad boy...yet, but need help on a deciding which water cooler:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=352499

If I overclock this 3Ghz to let's say 3.5Ghz, at what temperature (average) should it be to keep it nice and stable? What is the overclocking threshold for this sucker to go nuts on me?

Thanks and Merry Christmas! :santa:

Welcome to the forums.

they average between 3.5 as far as 3.8, with good water, 3.75 (250fsb) and a bit of luck should be within your reach.

Need more info. Which chip? Mine is the SL6WK. What mottherboard are you using?
What memory do you have. do you have a good psu or a generic piece of crap? What cooling system exactly do you have in mind. My system runs at a cool 33C at 267fsb with my gskill mem running 1:1. Til I have a clue what you are going to use and which processor you have. I can't even beging to guess.

WZ

CPU info:

cpu-2999.jpg

Motherboard info:

mainboard-3000.jpg

Does that help? :santa:

Thanks! :thup:

You have a 3.0C Northwood CPU. Those are nice and usually overclock good. The motherboard is a MSI, it's about average for a mobo... some are better and some are worse. You won't need watercooling on that system. But, I would invest in a little better cooling if you plan to O/C. Like maybe a better CPU heatsink and maybe do some case ventilation improvements. My 3.0C does 3.8 gig and most will do at least 3.6 gig with decent cooling. Even with stock cooling, you can try overclocking a little as long as you don't raise vcore much and if you watch temps. Try to keep load CPU temps below the low 50's. Try bumping up the FSB to 210 and see what happens.

Alright dohdoh you got a good processor. you did not answer nearly enough of my questions. Still if you can get a liquid cooling system, GET IT !!!! My entire system cost right at $145 . And it is great!! Go to this ling here in the forum and you will see what can be done with the processor you have and 3 different mems. With your processor 4 ghz with liquid cooling shoul;d be do-able
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=352316

WZ

Thanks batboy and weldzilla for those fine answers! :thup:

Weldzilla,

I have an Antec True Power/Low Noise PSU (480 or 450 watt....don't remember right now).

3ghzcpunormal.jpg

My temperatures can go pretty high up to 40-43C when an hours has passed and the room is warmer.

What water cooler do you have? Is Koolance EXOS-AL any good? I was going to get that because it's external and looks pretty nice.

Thanks! :santa2:

Well I use a heater core from a 1976 Buick Electra Limited, A Eheim 1250 pump, A swiftech 5002P water block and a resevoir made from PVC pipe. My pum is mounted externally just in case it decides to turn into a sprinkler system. My radiator is actually mounted externally also. My system works very well and cost about $140 to $150 including the 2 X 120mm fans for the radiator as well as my tubing. I have not heard anything bad about the Exos-AL Type that into google and put reviews behind it and do some reading. If it is a good one then by all means get one. Here are a couple shots of my system.
103.jpg

notice the rad is actually outside of case as is the pump.
99.jpg

that pvc tank cost about $4 to build.
All is well in here!!
112.jpg

Liquid cooling is the best way to go!!

WZ

well you asked the question at the right place :D i have the exact same chip the good ole 3.0C cooled with a slk heatsink on a abit ic7 mobo. i have overclocked this thing to 3.5 stable no increases in ram speeds or voltages. just upping the fsb. i think its 232 fsb... well on the slk is a fan the tt silent cat.. 21dba with ... well check it out yourself.. i dont kno why these things arent popular they are GREAT! http://www.thermaltake.com/dcfans/ComboCool/a2013silentCat9/SilentCat9.htm my temp probe says 110F forgot bout the C... mobo monitor i think showed 47C?

WZ,

That is insane!

Whew, can you freeze mini "me" in there? HEHE

Well it's unique, that for sure. But way out there for me and I like overclocking don't get me wrong, but not an extreme OC nut..........................yet. :sn: :burn:

daniel_dynasty,

Thanks for the link! That fan looks cool, looks like it can really cool down that processor. I have a Vantec Aeroflow (Vp4 c7040), not sure is this is the best or not.

:clap:

yeah well you may not know but 21 dba is almost unaudible.. and panaflos the 21 dba fans do only ~24 CFM while these things do 50 something.. that is A LOT

DohDoh, you will be, you will be. You see you will be all excited to get your OC to around 3550mhz. Then you will see guys like me and my clocks and benchmarks. So you will try for a little more then a little more. Soon getting more from your system will dominate your thoughts. Then my friend when you look back you will not be able to see the trail that brought you here anymore. Then you will be lost for ever in OC Madness. It is a lovely place!!
desk_1.jpg

you see my case sits just inches away from me. I gaze in the window, always looking to get more from all that I see!!

WZ

Now that last picture of yours, I admit is sexy.
WootRock.gif

uh-oh I am starting to feel like a..................nerd! ;)

If this is at [email protected], about what is the appropiate temp?

Should it be the same temperature as it was stock or it should skyrocket, but stable? I just want to know if I am doing this right. :-/

Back