• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium D @ 2.8GHz (dual core) VS Pentium 4 3.0GHz (single core)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimbob1141

Registered
i got a PC today that had a pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz in it, so iw as using it for a while it was alright.

But then i decided id put in my spare Pentium D @ 2.8GHz with an extra core.

Now shouldnt the pentium D be better/faster? the Pentium 4 at the moment seems to be even better at multitasking than the damn dual core, im just a little confused here, is Pentium D a known ****ty processor?

i load up my DCuniverse online launcher so i can start the download and it starts downloading, but then if i try to go onto say google chrome it just rans so awfully slow. and while im here, if i only have default fan and heatsink for my CPU (its a coolermaster i think) is overclocking completely out of the question? and is the CPU the only part at risk when overclocking? saying that i dont even think you can overclock on an intel board >.<

Its windows 7 32 bit OS if thats of any relevance.

Last edited:
Are the 2 cores seen by windows when the pentium D is installed ? Simply ctrl-alt-del and see task manager.

Are the 2 cores seen by windows when the pentium D is installed ? Simply ctrl-alt-del and see task manager.

Im not 100% sure what im looking for, but the processor usage % with the green bar is split into 2 bars down the middle. i think that means it recognises both cores?

and in device manager it does list the processor twice, so im fairly certain it is recognising the cores

Good. Sometimes windows ( seen it mostly on win XP ) dont recognize new CPU correctly but your OK.

Whats your motherboard ?

the only thing i can really think of, is that the DCuniverse launcher is using both of the cores leaving little room for multitasking, im quite knowledgable about computers, but not so much about all this stuff, im not sure how a lot of stuff works just yet :p

I think having the antivirus running has something to do with it as well

Yes, thats right. I just wanted to be sure that the motherboard support pentiumD. Its supported since bios 3127 or greater, can you validate your bios version (reboot to bios or look in the post screen if your quick enough :) ) ?

Yes, thats right. I just wanted to be sure that the motherboard support pentiumD. Its supported since bios 3127 or greater, can you validate your bios version (reboot to bios or look in the post screen if your quick enough :) ) ?

the bios name is quite long, NT94510J.86A.3869.2006.0519.1553

i did a quick msconfig and booted up only essentials, it looks like its windows 98 or soemthing haha, but it seems to be running a lot faster this way, it seems the previous ms config i performed didnt take effect for some unknown reason.

Do you know what i have to do to get the windows 7 look back?

Thanks for your help thus far

the bios name is quite long, NT94510J.86A.3869.2006.0519.1553

I think your on bios 3869, wich is ok for this CPU.

i did a quick msconfig and booted up only essentials, it looks like its windows 98 or soemthing haha, but it seems to be running a lot faster this way, it seems the previous ms config i performed didnt take effect for some unknown reason.

Do you know what i have to do to get the windows 7 look back?

Thanks for your help thus far

Disabling some Windows 7 stuff sure help an older rig to run faster. How much ram did you have ? and whats the main HDD ?

I think your on bios 3869, wich is ok for this CPU.

Disabling some Windows 7 stuff sure help an older rig to run faster. How much ram did you have ? and whats the main HDD ?

4GB of DDR2 RAM, 3.2 usable for obvious reasons.

HDD is 195GB on the main one with a second partition which is 102GB

Secondary one is 139GB

And on second thoughts i dont really care about the windows 7 look, this desktop is just going to be for playing a few games on really so i wont even be seeing the desktop all that much, my laptop is going to be for general browsing etc. :D

Well this irg is pretty old and i think its kind of normal that if you run a game + browse the internet, it gets choppy.

If you just run windows, browse internet, no games, its ok ?

Well this irg is pretty old and i think its kind of normal that if you run a game + browse the internet, it gets choppy.

If you just run windows, browse internet, no games, its ok ?

Well its running okay now with the game open, but its not a game, its just the launcher for the game where it downloads the files, but now it seems good, thanks :)

Back