• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium D or Pentium Dual Core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theaznboywunder

Registered
Hey all! I've successfully completed my recent desktop build that consisted of a simple setup: EVGA 610i Mobo/Pentium Dual Core e2160. Anyway, I have two computers in my computer room and I've decided that the second one needs not only to be revamped, but to be recreated altogether (Pentium 4 @1.8ghz/512mb DDR lol).

So, my question is, should I stick with the more current Pentium Dual Core's- such as the e2200, or should I go for something a bit older with better specs, such as the Pentium D 935? Keep in mind, this processor is going to be used in a system that's mainly used for audio/video editing and web browsing. Games will be rarely played, if ever, on this new computer. Benchmarks have proved that the Pentium D can compete with similar Core 2 Duo's, but I want to keep the price low, which is why the Core 2 Duo's are only a backup choice for me right now.

So, what's better? Whichever I get will be overclocked, but I know that the Pentium D has a much better base spec to begin with (3.2ghz/4MB L2 Cache Shared). But, has the Pentium D already lost it's battle with time? Is the Pentium Dual Core any better? It's not that much cheaper. In fact, I believe the prices are only $10 different from each other. Any help would be appreciated, personal experiences are even better. Thanks in advance!

Pentium Dual Core = The new name for intel's low end core 2 but non conroe core chips and > Pentium D, e2200 wins

Definitely go with the newer platform Pentium Dual Core. The new architecture is much better than the old netburst platform & you'll get better commands per clock with the newer CPU's.

I'm going with an e2140 because from what I have read, they overclock VERY well. Over 3.0ghz on air.

Don't believe all you hear about the Pentium Dual Core processors. You'll need a pretty solid motherboard to get to 3.0. I only made it to 2.4 on my not so efficient EVGA 610i.

There is clearly a difference between cost effective and a cheap motherboard.

my 2140 is at 3.1 ghz on stock cooler on a $50 mobo...

Just make sure its a reasonably good chipset and you should be fine.

If you are referring to my post I agree. I was not saying it had to be expensive, just decent. Chipset, as you pointed out, is key. The poster who I quoted was using 610i, and I haven't seen anyone else on here w/ that chipset. I assume it isn't a good chipset for OCing.

Hey all! I've successfully completed my recent desktop build that consisted of a simple setup: EVGA 610i Mobo/Pentium Dual Core e2160. Anyway, I have two computers in my computer room and I've decided that the second one needs not only to be revamped, but to be recreated altogether (Pentium 4 @1.8ghz/512mb DDR lol).

So, my question is, should I stick with the more current Pentium Dual Core's- such as the e2200, or should I go for something a bit older with better specs, such as the Pentium D 935? Keep in mind, this processor is going to be used in a system that's mainly used for audio/video editing and web browsing. Games will be rarely played, if ever, on this new computer. Benchmarks have proved that the Pentium D can compete with similar Core 2 Duo's, but I want to keep the price low, which is why the Core 2 Duo's are only a backup choice for me right now.

So, what's better? Whichever I get will be overclocked, but I know that the Pentium D has a much better base spec to begin with (3.2ghz/4MB L2 Cache Shared). But, has the Pentium D already lost it's battle with time? Is the Pentium Dual Core any better? It's not that much cheaper. In fact, I believe the prices are only $10 different from each other. Any help would be appreciated, personal experiences are even better. Thanks in advance!

I have a brand new mobo in my stock room for two socket 370 PIII CPUs. Two CPUs! I'm thinking of sticking two 1Ghz CPUs in it & building it up.

How fast can I go, General? I have four brand new 1GB PC-2100 sticks in stock, and one brand new 1GHz 370 (6 used, but identical) in stock!

Attachments

• P3 001.jpg
    P3 001.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,239
  • P3 002.jpg
    P3 002.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,233
  • P3 003.jpg
    P3 003.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,235
  • P3 004.jpg
    P3 004.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,223
  • P3 005.jpg
    P3 005.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,297
Can a TR U 120 E fit on this mobo? Maybe I could get 2GHz! I haven't seen threads on PIIIs.

I have the E2140 and currently running stable at 3.10GHZ (Still burning in to get 3.6ghz). I vote to the Dual-core!!! Let that baby burn...

What voltage are you running to get 3.10ghz? What is your chips' VID? Not sure how easily you're going to get to 3.6ghz, my E2180 I got in today needed 1.51v to get to 3.5ghz.

Last edited:
I run an old pentium D...and it wont die..

I have had this Pentium D 945 for a couple years, when I got some faster ram about 6 months ago I was able to reach into the 4Ghz range on air...before I upgraded my Ram I was limited to 3.76Ghz....all of this is on a crappy ECS mobo....I have great cooling, Idle at 4.07Ghz is abou 22c under full load I hit between 38-42c....and Im sure those numbers thru speedfan are off as well....but it is still kickin.....ok that was my story....about a Pentium D that could...

You sure that a C2D @ 2GHz will smoke a Pentium D @ 4GHz with 4MB of L2? :confused: I know the C2D is faster clock-for-clock, but I don't believe the ratio is 1:2.

I reemmber when the 805s were popular.

Guy had his at 4GHz and it got smoked by a stock 4400X2...

Considering the 4400 would get smoked by a conroe cpu... I think its safe to assume that a 2GHz conroe beats a 4ghz D chip.

Back