• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

People looking at cheap 1156 boards!!!!! Click the link!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This thread gave me a nice scare. I'm at stock now but won't be in the future. Just double checked my ASUS board to make sure, P7P55D LE. 8+2 phase.

I was referring to the "socket burn" :p

No, 8 phases minimum of any decent OCing ;)

I think socket burn and blown MOSFETs are two symptoms of the same too-high current disease. For a board with a low number of phases (even though I don't believe in all the MOAR PHASES marketing bs hype) if there's too much current a MOSFET blows, for a board where a MOSFET will not blow because there is enough headroom in the design the too-high current is delivered to the socket and causes burn there.

Well, the moar phases the merrier, I think.. I remember you saying in an earlier post that you do not run your system near the ragged edge.. But there are lots of people who do. The pics and links posted should be a clear indication that moar phases are better. Maybe 16 or 24 is a bit excessive, but still, you saw what happens with a poor design. And the key here, is that it was repeatable, so it wasnt just a fluke. Just because you have a chip the clocks with lower voltage, doesnt mean the amperage it draws is also lower. Once you start overclocking, everything changes, as Im sure you are well aware :)

I think socket burn and blown MOSFETs are two symptoms of the same too-high current disease. For a board with a low number of phases (even though I don't believe in all the MOAR PHASES marketing bs hype) if there's too much current a MOSFET blows, for a board where a MOSFET will not blow because there is enough headroom in the design the too-high current is delivered to the socket and causes burn there.

This seems to be true even more so with the P55 boards IMO, I'm also in the middle about the "more phases are better" theory, I have not really seen that as a definate, then again I usually find the higher end multi phase board do tend to "hold" the OC better at the ragged edge. I believe what Dr Evil and a few others have experience with boards dying are exactly waht you are describing ie high current blowing MOSFET. Adding to this is that the current fed to the CPU as regulated by the VRM's, now that the chipset is gone, has to do this to the CPU, RAM controller and PCIe bus, so it taxes the MOSFETS even more than before, I'm no micro electronics expert so I could be totally off here.

Last edited:
Yeah I didnt mean to banter on about that.. I run my oc's 24/7, and I have found cheap boards do not handle the high oc's over the long term as well as some of the better built boards do :) Im sure youve heard all different types of boards make all kinds of different sounds over the years as well :)

This is actually my first quiet board! :eek:

Well, the moar phases the merrier, I think.. I remember you saying in an earlier post that you do not run your system near the ragged edge.. But there are lots of people who do. The pics and links posted should be a clear indication that moar phases are better. Maybe 16 or 24 is a bit excessive, but still, you saw what happens with a poor design. And the key here, is that it was repeatable, so it wasnt just a fluke. Just because you have a chip the clocks with lower voltage, doesnt mean the amperage it draws is also lower. Once you start overclocking, everything changes, as Im sure you are well aware :)

Lots of phases are done because it looks good for marketing and it's cheaper for mobo makers on top of that so it's win-win for them. It's cheaper to make a many-phases design with inexpensive parts than a fewer-phases design with expensive parts. There is nothing inherently better about more phases as long as the circuits are well designed for the application. Obviously we don't see the same exact board with cheap plentiful phases and fewer expensive phases so a direct comparison isn't possible but there *are* boards out there with the fewer expensive VRM design that are perfectly competitive versus boards on the same platform with many phases. The reason for these boards blowing isn't low phase count itself it's that the parts just can't handle the current loads - in other words, not a well-designed circuit.

Quality of components is key , caps, chokes, etc...yeah, I can tell my boards apart just listening to how they squeel and moan, especially when you slap two HD5870's on it's back.

Remember that movie Bloodsport?

And Chun Li made that guy say Matay ? (sp?)

He was saying "Uncle"

I didnt think of it like that, cheap phases ftl :D

Lots of phases are done because it looks good for marketing and it's cheaper for mobo makers on top of that so it's win-win for them. It's cheaper to make a many-phases design with inexpensive parts than a fewer-phases design with expensive parts. There is nothing inherently better about more phases as long as the circuits are well designed for the application. Obviously we don't see the same exact board with cheap plentiful phases and fewer expensive phases so a direct comparison isn't possible but there *are* boards out there with the fewer expensive VRM design that are perfectly competitive versus boards on the same platform with many phases. The reason for these boards blowing isn't low phase count itself it's that the parts just can't handle the current loads - in other words, not a well-designed circuit.

Could you tell me which of the boards have the fewer expensive VRM design? I want to know so I can choose a board that doesn't blow up when I try to oc the i7 860 that I'm planning to use as part of my rig. Thanks.

I benched my P55 UD5 for a month and never used under 1.58 vtt, and for the most part vcore of 1.55 - 1.63 with out any socket burn.
Oh, and that was benching wPrime loading all 8 threads.

That board is dead now, but thats a whole other story

Could you tell me which of the boards have the fewer expensive VRM design? I want to know so I can choose a board that doesn't blow up when I try to oc the i7 860 that I'm planning to use as part of my rig. Thanks.

To be honest I don't know I'd have to look at all of them. But it's kind of a moot point because fewer expensive phase designs cost similar to many cheaper phase designs and they work as well as each other. Again, it's not that one is better than the other it's that more phases is not automatically better. Although there may be other feature differences like SLI/CF I honestly think total board price is probably the easiest comparison.

In particular I was thinking of P45 designs where DFI had great clocking boards that didn't go crazy on the phases. If I had to take a guess for P55 *maybe* MSI uses fewer expensive phases but there are other differences in their deisgn as well because they use VRM chips that combine what other manufacturers do with separate chips. MSI boards are wierd when it comes to oc'ing though.

Last edited:
Back