• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom 2 x4 965 BE Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlucFahhT

I just got a upgrade cooler from the stock to a Hyper 212 Plus with another BladeMaster fan (same that comes with it) in a push/pull config running off the same CPU header.

I ran Prime 95 just to see how much of an improvement it got me. I got from 56+ down to 48 with that. So I was wondering what I could get my Frequency to?

Right now (running Prime while typing this xD) it is at stock 3.4 Ghz, but my voltage seems to be up there at 1.472. Could I get to 3.9, or even 4.0 Ghz without raiseing the voltage? if I do I would have to bring it up to 1.5, my mobo only let's me increase/decrease in .025 voltage increments.

I got a simple Mobo Gigabyte ga-970-ud3 (Came with a 8gb ram deal)

Edit:Got a better picture >.>

Picture :http://i47.tinypic.com/2aj8ghi.png

Last edited:
Could you expand the "Temperatures" line in HWMonitor so we can see the CPU (socket) temp? It may be expressed generically in one of the TIMPINx lines. We like to see both as core temp sensors can sometimes be poorly calibrated and it's nice to have something similar to compare and contrast them with.

Also, please attach your images directly with your post rather than link them. To attach a pic directly with a post, click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window and when the advanced post window appears click on the little paperclip icon at the top. That will load the file browser/uploader tool to find and attach the images. You can attach up to three at a time.

Also, please include the Memory and SPD tabs of CPU-z with your images of CPU-z. They are important to get a well-rounded picture of your system and bios settings.

Have you tried increasing the CPU multiplier beyond the stock 17x? I would think you could get to around 3.8-3.9 ghz on your current vcore of 1.472. Start increasing the CPU multiplier (maybe called CPU "ratio" or something like that in bios) in .5x increments. After each increment of increase, run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to find out how high you can get your CPU speed on your current voltage. Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor CPU socket and core temps. Don't add any voltage to the CPU when you start to exceed 55-60c core temp or 65c socket temp.

Please list your components including case make and model. PSU make and model, ram make and model and amount, video card make and model and OS.

My case is a corsair Carbide 300r, PSU is a Corsair HX750W Modular, My RAM is Team Extreem Dark series 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 (running at 1333), Video card is Nvidia GTX 660Ti MSI Power Edition, and my OS is Win7 64-bit.

Here is also what you asked for, Plus all other CPU-Z tabs.

I haven't done anything yet, I also took Pics with my phone of my BIOS lol, Took Sys Volt control off manual to see what it says.

ou0a34.jpg

2niuybr.jpg

Attachments

• TempsCPUZ.png
    TempsCPUZ.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 113
  • MoreCPUZ.png
    MoreCPUZ.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 101
Are those temps in HWMonitor showing in your most recent post idle temps or load temps?

For future reference, we don't really need CPU-z tabs "Motherboard" and "Cache". Just "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

You will want to use the "CPU Clock Ratio" to overclock. Take it off of Auto. Go back and read my previous post for the method. Just post back when you can no longer pass a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. Failing the test means either blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one or more of the Prime95 core workers quits working.

Last edited:
Those are underload with Prime running on Blend. Do I leave Sys Volt control on manual or auto while doing this? When when it BSOD, locks up, what ever Back it down .5 or up the voltages if my temps are below 60-65? Can I keep going if I have my volts at say 1.5 and core at like 3.9 and my temps around 50-55 or below, would that be too much?

Leave Sys Voltage Control on Manual for the time being. Later we may have you increase the CPU Voltage Control but I think your temps may preclude much increase in that. When you first fail the Prime95 blend test back the CPU Clock Ratio back .5x, repeat the blend test and post back with pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD and of HWMonitor at the end of the 20 minute stress test. Please have HWMonitor already open on the desktop before you start the Prime95 stress test so that it is apparent what the idle temps and the load temps are.

Right now at stock it runs at around 30c idle. This will takea few hours, but off to up the multiplier I go. I will report back on this thread of my latest and highest Frequency.

A 20 minute Prime95 run will show you what your max temps will be within about 2c of a much longer test and will tentatively establish that your settings make for a stable overclock. 20 minutes is also a time efficient test length. After you kind of zero in on your max overclock I'll have you run a longer stress test to make sure you are stable.

Well, I upped the Frequency little by little, ran Prime for about 15-20 minutes, every test it didn't go above 48C (118F), but when I went to 3.9 and ran Prime, on the self test #4 an error shown. "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file." and then it BSOD on me.The temps were the same, 48C or less. Tried it again, after a few seconds it just went over the 100 warning limit in like 2 seconds >.> Also, as I increased the frequency my computer ran slower, like at 3.8 it wouldn't barely load the site. I googled this site, I could click the link ,it loaded, but if I clicked anything else it didn't load,

Last edited:
Make sure you run the Prime95 blend test for the full 20 minutes. Right at the 20 minute mark you will get the highest temps.

Put it back to 3.8 ghz or the last stable setting. Make sure HWMonitor is open, run the 20 minute Prime test and then upload a pic of the HWMonitor interface.

Well, got tired, went to sleep, got up and did the test again, here's what I got :D

Attachments

• 3.8Ghz.png
    3.8Ghz.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 106
Although your core temps at a max of 49c are still in the okay range your CPU socket temp (on gigabyte boards it's the TMPIN2 line, if I recall) is getting up there at 61C. You may have temp room for one more increase in CPU core voltage so try 1.475 volts. One thing that will likely help in your situation is to install a spot fan to blow on the VRM (Voltage Regulation Module) components between the CPU socket and the I/O area at the back edge of the board. There is a very small heatsink covering the mosfets but it's not much.

Attachments

• giga.JPG
    giga.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 103
How many sticks of ram do you have installed?

Hey, it's time for you to create a "Sig" so that your system info travels with every post you make. This is a great help to those assisting you since they don't have to go back to the beginning of the thread to hunt for the info. Especially helpful as threads get long and drawn out. To create a Sig go to the top of the page and click n Quick Links and then click on Edit Signature. Please include info in some detail about makes, models, speeds, wattages, etc. of Case, CPU, Motherboard, CPU cooler, Ram, Video Card, and PSU. You can look at mine if you want an example.

I only got the 2 case fans that came with the case. I could move the 120 in the back to somewhere else but I don't know where. or maybe the 140 to the top? I only have 2 4gb sticks in the white slots. No room for the blue ones unless I had lower profile Dimms, the ones I have now have a tall heat sink on them.

No, your ram is fine. If you were using four sticks it might have a limiting effect on the overclock due to extra strain on the memory controller. Concerning the spot fans, I was speaking of adding more fans not relocating the existing ones. Picking up a couple of 50mm fans to blow on motherboard components is inexpensive and effective: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835104008

I stick them on the motherboard heatsinks with double-sided adhesive pads applied to the fan frame center.

I do still have my AMD stock cooler, but the wire on that is short...and I don't have an extension wire or anything like that. and there is no fan headers near the VRM modules...but I think my 140 fan wire is long enough, and the corner area I think would be able to blow air onto them. It would also blow air into the cpu heat sink fins.

Don't sacrifice case ventilation in order to create a spot fan. If the 140 is part of the case ventilation I wouldn't move it. I keep a bunch of 50 mm fans around for this purpose and also some "Y" wire harness splitters to be able to run more than one fan off the same header.

I think I have plenty of Ventilation as is, the one side is off so it is all open there, the only thing the fan is doing is moving air past my HDD into open space >.> So it isnt really going a big thing. if I put it on the top I could get air over the important bits. and the only Y connector I have is a 4-pin one for the 2 PWM fans on my hyper 212 for push-pull.

Back