• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II 955 Deneb on MSI K9A2GM-FIH?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK. I appreciate your info. I was getting concerned since I saw that the Phenom II that I ordered has a 125w rating and my MSI board says it only supports up to 95w.

Well, the list DOES have a couple 125w CPU's on there. The Phenom II X4 Deneb listed on that list is the 95w, however the one I have on the way from Newegg is a Black Edition and is 125w....perhaps MSI's list is a little outdated? Come to think of it, I don't even remember WHERE I heard that it only supported up to 95w...*rolleyes*

OK. I appreciate your info. I was getting concerned since I saw that the Phenom II that I ordered has a 125w rating and my MSI board says it only supports up to 95w.
That's a very odd list of CPUs there. The quad BE's aren't listed at all (except an older Phenom 8xxx) but other quads are, all of which are non-BE's and 95W or less. Very, very odd. My guess would be the lack of MOSFET coolling is playing a role here. Quad BE's (and unlocked X2/X3's) suck down a lot of power regardless of their watt rating.

In the end the 955BE will probably work but I'd add some kind of MOSFET cooling if you plan on anything except a stock vCore (~1.35v) OC. ;)

All 955's are black editions(it means that the multiplier is unlocked) and MSI updates their lists otherwise you wouldn't see a x6 1055T on there....
Well, I've never seen a non-BE 955 but that list includes one. The X955 is not a BE - all Phenom II BE's have a 'Z' in front of their number (Z720, Z940, Z955). The older Phenom's have it as a suffix instead (i.e., 995Z for the 9950BE) ...

In the end the 955BE will probably work but I'd add some kind of MOSFET cooling if you plan on anything except a stock vCore (~1.35v) OC. ;)

I wasn't planning on pushing the vcore any at all. I'm just going to OC it as far as it will go on stock vcore. This motherboard will be upgraded soon enough anyway. I'll pick up some mosfet sinks and direct some air over them until I replace this board.

Looks somewhat good Aquaman78 here is an article for you, now these are 125 watt cpu's but I don't see it as listing the 955BE so it may not recognize it but run it, I see that they have been updating the bios on that board as recent at 08/24/2010 version 1.C so they may have added it and just not updated the list since its a pretty old list. http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2008/04/14/msi_s_motherboards_now_support_125w_amd_cpus/1
Here is a snip of it:
According to the manufacturer, four out of six MSI boards in the entry-level and mainstream markets can now be paired with AMD's 125-watt processors. The compliant motherboard models are K9A2GM-FIH (AMD 780G), K9N2GM-FIH (Nvidia GeForce 8200), K9A2VM-FD ( AMD 780V), K9N2GM-FD (Nvidia GeForce 8200).

Last edited:
Looks somewhat good Aquaman78 here is an article for you, now these are 125 watt cpu's but I don't see it as listing the 955BE so it may not recognize it but run it, I see that they have been updating the bios on that board as recent at 08/24/2010 version 1.C so they may have added it and just not updated the list since its a pretty old list. http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2008/04/14/msi_s_motherboards_now_support_125w_amd_cpus/1
Here is a snip of it:
According to the manufacturer, four out of six MSI boards in the entry-level and mainstream markets can now be paired with AMD's 125-watt processors. The compliant motherboard models are K9A2GM-FIH (AMD 780G), K9N2GM-FIH (Nvidia GeForce 8200), K9A2VM-FD ( AMD 780V), K9N2GM-FD (Nvidia GeForce 8200).

Yeah, I saw that very same article when I was googling around. I'll post an update after I install it on Monday. Thanks!

Back