• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom ii beeping then resets on MSi K9N2 Platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PalominoBURN

Phenom ii beeping then resets on MSi K9A2 Platinum

I recently upgraded my system from a regular AM2 "Phenom 845 X3" to an AM3 "Phenom ii 955 BE X4". I'm using the same MB in my signature "MSI K9A2 Platinum w/ latest BIOS revision for AM3 support", and for whatever reason after overclocking my system from 3.2ghz to 4.2 ghz my system will start beeping and then just restart on it's own. I'm using a Corsair H50 water cooler w/ both waterblock and cpu chip lapped to a shine, and radiator is using 2 fans push/pull with 1 inch spacer to eliminate dead-space in center. I've upgraded my PSU from an antec 600 to a corsair 750TX, and the only components in my comp are my GPU (ATi HD3870 stock clocks), 1 PCI card "Killer NIC", 3 HDs (all Sata, 1 10,000rpm), and finally 1 Optical disc and several fans (3x120mm, 2 x 80mm, 1x 20mm, and the waterblock pump). Other then what I've already given you as far as my system is concerned, I can tell you it will run 4.0ghz @ v1.44 cpu fine, with all other system voltage stock. However once I bump it up to the 4.2 ghz @ v1.48 cpu, under full load it will start beeping then power off. I can't figure out why because the temps (according to coretemp) never exceed 45C, so what could be making this damn thing beep and shut off? The only odd thing is my power rails in

HWmonitor show

3.3v = 3.36
5.0v = 4.71
12.0v = 8.01

Anyone got a freaking clue why my comp is flipping out @ only 45C coretemp under 100% load when the threshold for thermal on these is suppose to be like 62C?:mad: I can't think of anything else but Temp that would cause this behavior. last but not least... according to SANDRA CPU power consumption @ 4.0GHZ is... 248Watt and @ 4.2GHZ is... 267Watt. It the 750TX just not enought juice? I find that hard to believe... HELP GUYS:mad:

Last edited:
Are you running the K9A2 or K9N2? For now, I'm assuming K9A2 since that one appears twice. ;)

The first real question is about case cooling. I know you have a lot of fans but it's not always how many fans but where they are and their CFM that counts. The one big drawback to water cooling of any type is that it tends to reduce airflow around the chipset and MOSFETs where it's needed most. I wouldn't think 1.5 vCore or less would be a problem but if the power system or NB is getting hot it could be. Also, which slot is your video in? If it's the top slot I'd consider moving it to the third slot instead, to reduce heat in the upper area of the board.

You might try looking at OCCT, it also monitors voltage while running. Of course, nothing replaces a good multi-meter but if you don't have one then using another program can't hurt.

Have you taken the board out of the case, yet? You never know what may have gotten loose in there while you were working. It's something to check.

If your PSU is running right then I doubt it's the problem but any assembly line occasionally produces errors. The better ones reduce them but none can eliminate them ...

Well is it possible that this MB being designed for the AM2 in mind and not the AM3, simply can't pump the wattage my CPU is attempting to consume @ 100 % load? This MB only has the 4 Pin CPU line not the 8 PIN like the AM3s. I'm thinking perhaps thats what's causing the issues. Does this seem to make any sense? I'll try disconnecting all un-needed devices to see if the rails come back into spec and if they do then perhaps it is a weak PSU, however otherwise I have to suspect it's simply this AM2+ board not being able to adequatly supply the power needed by this power hungry processor when it's o/c 1GHZ. I suppose I could also remove the heatpipe on the MB and re-apply it with artic silver thermal epoxy. Lets see what happens....:blah::blah:

Back