• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X2 555 BE unlock strange behavior

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gheorghe

Registered
Hy,

I've searched a way to solve my particularly problem but no luck so far, hope to find a solution here.

This is my problem:

-I've unlocked my 555 in Phenom II X4 B55 with MOBO Asus M4a79 Deluxe
-all settings are on default in BIOS, I only activate the ACC, unleash mode options for unlocking
-the OS is Win 7 Pro 64 bit, is booting and I don't receive any BSOD
-I run the CPU & Memory stability tests immediately after unlocking (Prime 95, OCCT: CPU, S&M, Memtest86+...) no problem found, temps are in idle ~38 C and full load max 57 C

=>the problem appears when I start browsing, I receive pink, green stripes as the content is not well decoded on portion of the page displayed (this in Chrome or Firefox because Internet Explorer is not even starting..), I tried to increase the voltages of NB, CPU VID but there is no change.

I observed that after changing in Task Manager the "Set Affinity" to core 1,2,3 without core 0 the problem disappears, I also saw that in OCCT is failing ONLY the test for power supply (after 2-3 min). In S&M I observed also that tree cores (1,2,3) are at 100% when testing power supply but core 0 oscillate between 78% - 83%. In the core specific tests the load of core 0 reaches 100% without no problem.

Another problem I received was when I tried to instal my OS with CPU unlocked, the error received was that the hardware is not supported.

I read that the reason of locking the cores could be a faulty core... but this problem could be from my PSU (MS-Tech VERTIGO series 620 w 80+)? or from my ACC option or simply I'm not lucky? :(

Thank you!

Last edited:
In my mind the question that keeps coming to mind is does everything work as it should if the cores are not "unlocked"?

I notice you say that there were errors when trying to install the O/S with the cpu in "unlocked" mode. I think it would have served better to know for real if the cpu and system works well with the cpu as AMD intended which is as dual core processor.

After the system has been stability tested in dual core mode for at least 2 hours of Prime 95 'blend' mode and temps of the CPU CORES do not exceed 55C, then would be the time to investigate if you have a quad core in hiding.

When the cores are unlocked; be they good or bad cores, you will LOSE the ability to monitor the CORE TEMPS since the cpu no longer outputs CORE TEMPS in unlocked mode so you are only able to see a socket temp called CPU TEMP and is not the most important temp of that cpu.

So you really need to determine the stability of the system before unlocking and get a correlation between the always there cpu temp and the needed CORE TEMP that is not visible when running in unlocked mode.

Back