• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X3 720

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As I've "moved on" to a new CPU, I'd like to sum up my experiences for others to learn.

Friendly people - this forum has nice guys who don't mind helping a fellow out - appreciate it! Thanks for all help in private when my PC died, Trent!

Patience - lack of this will make you do wrong things.
Recently I've used wrong screws, I've skipped researching properly...that's expensive in time and money!

Follow instructions closely - read them twice!
Personally I thought only "core" temps were important and missed TMPIN0-1 which I allowed to run too high too long - and my CPU died :\

My input of the Freezer 13: I should have read the overclockers.com review - the "meh" part comes from the fact that it mounts only north/south on AMD which is not "cool" in
my case. On the plus side, you mount it without back plate and the retail box is really cool :) Now I might get a Noctua D14 anyways..
And yes - do not mess up and use the wrong screws. Me and this guy in the comments here , stock cooler working but Freezer 13 not - wrong screws, dudes :)

Good luck on your 720 - watch the temps :)

Noctual D14, yes! The holy grail of air coolers but pretty expensive.

My bad! That is a black edition CPU. Good! Overclocking will be simpler.

Okay, here's the strategy:
1. Increase the core multiplier by .5x increments.
2. After each increment of increase in 1. above, run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes with HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor core and CPU temps.
3. The first time you cannot complete the Prime95 20 minute stress test (either BSOD, lockup, or one of the three core workers drops out and throws an error message) add a small increment of CPU core voltage to restore stability. Retest. Add a bit more CPU core voltage if necessary to pass the 20 minute test.
4. At that point post back with pics of HWMonitor, CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD"

You want to keep core temps from exceeding mid 50s c and CPU temps (TMPIN0 -1) from exceeding 65c. Don't add more vcore (CPU core voltage) when you get to that point.
Okay I increased to 17 X (Multiplier 3.5 Ghz) 17.5 ia the highest it will go any more and it will Blue screen :-/

I increased the Core CPU Voltage 1.45 V to stabilize

Should I OC even further , if so Is there anything else I need to change ?

2 . On a separate note , I tried upping my ram to 16 GB with identical new modules , though got BSOD

Adding more ram puts more strain on the ICM (Integrated Memory Controller). Most applications don't benefit from more than 4gb though ram is so cheap right now a lot of people are buying 8 gb.

1.45 vcore is a safe amount as long as core and CPU socket temps are acceptable. Have you been monitoring temps as you have been overclocking? I would add more vcore if socket temps are not exceeding 65c and core temps are not exceeding 55c.

Adding more ram puts more strain on the ICM (Integrated Memory Controller). Most applications don't benefit from more than 4gb though ram is so cheap right now a lot of people are buying 8 gb.

1.45 vcore is a safe amount as long as core and CPU socket temps are acceptable. Have you been monitoring temps as you have been overclocking? I would add more vcore if socket temps are not exceeding 65c and core temps are not exceeding 55c.

Temps are borderline those you quoted (see attachment) .I might leave as is , however I have read elsewhere increasing Northbridge voltage aswell. This could help with ram speed no?

Attachments

• Ociii.png
    Ociii.png
    68 KB · Views: 266
You have a tad more room from a temperature perspective to try some more vcore if you want. You're not close to unsafe temps but you are getting close to unstable temps.

New CPU inserted

Ok I have been running this rig over-clocked for a while with no Problem at all ( 3.4 Ghz)
However I recently noticed every 1/3 of the time when I boot I get the following messages 'new CPU inserted" 'Press F1 to load defaults ' 'Press F2 to run set up'
Each time this happens I enter the Bios, however it's mostly unchanged , apart from the Vcore gets reset to 'Auto' .
Co-incidently I noticed the Bios has slowed down ,when I change bios values , it now takes much longer when rolling the digits up & down
I have checked the CMOS Battery . it's still showing 3 V .

Any idea's what might cause this ? It's concerning me slightly

Have also noticed the HDD , just stops spinning and PC hanging , I think the Power connector on the HDD is loose maybe

CIT 650 W = It could well be that p/s is failing. They do not have a very good reputation in most of the forums I looked at it in.

Temps are borderline those you quoted (see attachment) .I might leave as is , however I have read elsewhere increasing Northbridge voltage aswell. This could help with ram speed no?

If you are talking about the CPU-NB - yes. But many bioses confuse the CPU-NB with the chipset NB (which does not need overvolting) by using just "NB" for both.

Last edited:
Back