• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X4 925 need OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AeroBuff

Registered
Hey everyone,
I plan on playing GW2 and have been tinkering with my setup trying to get it to max graphics at 60 fps. I'm considering the 660ti when it comes out, or something similar, and will be adding 4 more GB of ram soon. My question is, is my CPU going to be an issue? I've been reading a little bit on overclocking it, and have installed the three necessary programs to do so. However, my cooling is going to need an upgrade if I overclock. But, is it even necessary? Thanks

Quadcore Phenom2 at only 2.8Ghz will hamper the 660ti apparently. BUT the 660ti will be quite a bit more powerful than your 430 card and what the cpu may hold back the gpu may be of little consequence in the equation.

Sure you should add some speed to the processor by overclocking. More processor speed will certainly not hurt anything.

OK, so it looks like I'l be picking up the Cooler Master Hyper Plus and beginning some tweaks. I plan on OC'ing by using the BIOS tool, as I'm not concerned with maxing out my CPU, just beefing it up a bit, also for ease.

I plan on OC'ing by using the BIOS tool, as I'm not concerned with maxing out my CPU, just beefing it up a bit, also for ease.

How you overclock is up to you since it is your system. Most of us in here do not assist or respond to overclocks done with Bios Tool or with Software since there are too many variables. Be well.

Thanks for your help RGone. Just to throw this up in the air, if I decided not to overclock, which GPU would I be able to get 60fps on maxed settings in current games, with GW2 in hopes? I am eyeing the 660ti, but also the 7850. If you have other (cheaper) ideas, or any really. Thanks.

@AeroBuff, let me say something that I want to make crystal clear...I am not a big gamer. I can g00gle search with most of the best.

That said I have been surfing GW2 and posts as late as Aug 03, 2012, I understand that those on beta are still hollering about their super duper cards seem to get less FPS than some of the lesser cards. They are hollering bad optimization and the general BS that can follow gaming sites.

I copied this from one of the users who said the game was optimized fine for him.
"[Any how I was getting 110+ fps in heavy areas and some times around 70 fps in extremely heavy areas. I am using a 680 GTX 4GB and i7 3770k (3.90ghz) also 8GB of 1866Mhz RAM. I am how ever using the beta drivers version : 304.79. This is with max settings but default AA.]"

NOW that is n0t a mediocre system at all. No not at all.

Based on what i have seen in some of the gaming sites, there is no way I think I would buy a video card today for GW2, with the discussion that is ongoing. Wait it out and see what really happens with GW2 and how real users report the game actually plays. That way you will not buy a video card and wish you had gotten a different one. IMHO.

Those are wise words. In fact, I'm actually going to wait on everything until I get a good feel for the game. That was my initial plan in the beginning, and I'm going to follow it. I may not even need 8 GB of ram, so we'll see!

Back