• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X4 925 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monodoggie

Registered
Hi all! Ordered myself fx8320 so decided to see what kind of clocks i can get out of my Phenom II 925. I am using Asus M4A77TD motherboard. Currently i am running stable @ 3.71Ghz with core voltage @ 1.6v :)shock:) and HT voltage @ 1.3850.

I am using Stock cooler but i have 6 case fans, i set some of them to face directly to the CPU. My temps are around 70C but it keeps running and doesn't crash. I was just interested in what others have got out of a Phenom II 925?

Last edited:
I wouldn't think you would need to have the HT voltage that high and seconly have you tested this with P95 blend for stability?? I would think that if you did it might melt. The stock cooler is not intended for OCing and that's a lot of voltage.
All I can say is if you're trying to fry everything you're on the right track!

Just testing

I haven't run P95 blend on it. I ran a few CPU benchmarks but they werent too long. I know that the stock cooling is not up to the task and i might fry the CPU. I'm just testing for fun as my new CPU and Motherboard will arrive in a few days.

I might give the P95 a go just to see what happens.

Not stable on P95

Okay i did try Prime95, wasn't stable at all on that. Worker 3 and 2 stopped almost right away. Gonna play around a bit and see whats the highest stable clock i can get.

Just one more word of warning. P95 will really work that CPU and mobo. I would have HWMonitor free open while "monkeying" around so you avoid damaging anything. Unless you really don't care, then by all means have at'er, if that mobo goes it can take just about anything attached to it with it, just FYI

Pretty stable @ 3,4Ghz

Got it pretty stable @ 3.4Ghz with 1,52V. Ran 20 minutes on P95 blend without problems. Before i play around more i'll take your advice and remove my GTX760, as i certainly don't want to fry it if the mobo goes. Thanks for reminding me, i didn't even think that far ahead :)

Another thing is, many blue screens may bork the OS so if your Os is on a drive that you have info you want on it, back it up or use another drive to bench it.

Does the 7670 draw it's power from the PSU directly or from the PCI-e slot on the board? If the latter, yes, I would concur with the advice to remove it before running P95 for very long, at least on a lower end motherboard.

Cap'n she beginning to shake jus a leetle bit now wit this throttle so far forward. I said warp drive man and I mean warp it.
RGone...

Okay so i did fry the mobo. The sata ports are gone. Everything else survived tho, even the Hdd. It still posts but wont reqoqnize any devices connected to sata ports. Just waiting for my new cpu and mobo to arrive now.

monodoggie said:
Ordered myself fx8320

You better hope you ordered a board that is 'heavy-duty' enough for an 8 core FX processor or you are headed right into a another hair-pulling scenario with the possiblility of another dead board.

If you are the type that will push that 925 that hard on stock air cooler then you are in for a very new surprise and the heat put out by an overclocked 8 core FX processor and how few are the number of motherboards that can actually take the abuse day in and day out.

Plus the FX-8320 will consume the power from the +12volt rail like a pack of hungry wolves. If there was 'wonder' about your power supply before, it surely will be a question mark now.

FYI.
RGone...

I ordered Asrock 970 extreme3 and pretty cheap but hopefully ok watercooling. I am not gonna push the 8320 that hard. This 925 OC was just an fun experiment.

The sata ports didn't go after all. Tried with another sata cable and its up and running. My sata cable just suddenly stopped working. Strange..

I ordered Asrock 970 extreme3 = Say it ain't so that you ordered that weak in the knees board for an 8 core processor!!! It can hardly handle a 6 Core with all the cores on at an
overclocked speed.

and pretty cheap but = It is cheap for a reason. Reasons that do not lend themselves to using an FX 8 core in any manner other than the one spec'd by AMD and that does not include overclocking like most of us in here do.

hopefully ok watercooling. = Your time, parts and money. Hope you find a good tutorial on overclocking FX 8 core cpus, since you will need it and hope your thoughts of great cpu Mhz are inline with reality.

I am not gonna push the 8320 that hard. = Famous last words. You better have a realistic idea of how much is really pushing. FX-8320 to 4.0Ghz will all cores doing the job is going to be a load on the 970 EXT3 board, most likely even with water.

This 925 OC was just an fun experiment. = I hear you. I like my experiments to end in buying new parts also.

You charted your own course and for sure that is what one does with his own money, but now you have been given the FYI about 8 core and the ones of us that try and help most of the time in this forum section have all been there, done that and have the T-shirts from a preliminary experiment and now we know better.
FYI. Luck man. Think you will need it on your side.
RGone...ster.

What mobo would you recommend?

You have H100i, AiO cooler? Think I saw that earlier. That should be good to about 4.5Ghz if you get a decent piece of cpu silicon if the case and rads are well ventilated with good air-flow.

FYI, there is something up with availibility of the good AM3+ mobos. Like they are quitting them since AMD is not going to bring the "steamroller" FX processor and AMD seems h*ll bent for APUs. So what I am saying is that depending on what country you live in, there maybe an out of stock right now on some of the better boards.

With your W/cooling and knowing I just wrote in a thread that it seems not even overclocking an FX-8xxx if the speed reached is n0t 4.5Ghz, then my very first choice of mobo and that is with even my money >> Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. Hands down a board that can handle the FX-8320 and give plenty of options and fun working "with" the mobo, instead of in spite of the mobo.

I think 'my' second choice (tied with my first) would be the Asrock FX990 EXT9 board. I have an earlier version and it is just about as handy and robust as my CHV non-Z board.

If and that is a huge "if" you knew for sure you could get a Rev 4.0 of a Gigabyte UD3 series or UD5 series and only Rev 4.0...then it might be a little cheaper on the pocket book. KNOW that most of us that are 'helpers' can setup and push an FX 8core on the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 in our sleep. CHV-Z the same way. We have been there and done plenty of it. If you forge your own path with Giga or otherwise, we are not so used to what the heck is actually in the board bios. Would need very good pics to see all the settings. Doable but not a "known" at this time.

It is just a strange time in AM3+ mobo land. If you get a good one that can hold up, then I think you will be better off to begin with. If the any of the manufacturers cut production...the prices will jump and it seems a good year that AMD will still have for sale the FX series. You need a good board to hold-up that long and clocked.
RGone...

EDIT:
I must be dreaming. I thought I saw a post asking what AM3+ mobo might be suggested if you cancelled your order for the 970 EXT3 board. I put up what I personally would do but now I no longer see that request for a suggestion. Maybe you cannot cancel the 970 EXT3. I think you could refuse the order at the door and then haggle of refund and get something else. Oh well.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Changed my mobo

Thanks for all the info, appreciate it. I emailed the shop i ordered my parts from and told them to change the mobo to Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 . Can't afford much more than that atm but hopefully it does atleast better than the Asrock 970 Xtreme3.

Back