• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X4 965BE - Stock temps/cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There must be an option to lower the vcore fore sure. My BIOS doesnt show the -0.25v etc. as well at first but if I scroll down a bit there they are, have you tried that? You are definitely not stuck with these temps..only switching from 1.450v to 1.400 dropped my temps by 3C. And 1.5v is considered as a danger zone for cpu's especially with stock cooler, so don't worry. And do not reapply the thermal paste just yet, first try the BIOS, there MUST be an option to lower the vcore.

hm ok, I will search again now and then edit this post!

edit- Ok searched everything, no scroll option. Same thing on memory voltages, only "+"options available. Weird. I took pictures if you want me to upload them.

I found this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672559, that guy used Easy Tune 6.
Maybe if it can't be done from the BIOS, a software like that can offer the option to lower the Vcore?
And on this video on 0:23 I can see there is a Vcore option.

Last edited:
hm ok, I will search again now and then edit this post!

edit- Ok searched everything, no scroll option. Same thing on memory voltages, only "+"options available. Weird. I took pictures if you want me to upload them.

I found this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672559, that guy used Easy Tune 6. Maybe if it can't be done from the BIOS, a software like that can offer the option to lower the Vcore?

That is really strange. Post the pictures if you can.

You can use Easy Tune 6 for lowering/Increasing voltage, I myself was using that tool during my first OC attempts but I quickly learned (Thanks to all guys here) it is always better to do it in BIOS. If we will not find the BIOS lowering I think it may be an option..or maybe some other software as ET6 is crap as it is, but it should be your last resort.

Last edited:
That is really strange. Post the pictures if you can.

You can use Easy Tune 6 for lowering/Increasing voltage, I myself was using that tool during my first OC attempts but I quickly learned (Thanks to all guys here) it is always better to do it in BIOS. If we will not find the BIOS lowering I think it may be an option..or maybe some other software as ET6 is crap as it is, but it should be your last resort.

Ok, let's continue with the BIOS then. Here are the pictures

Notice there is no scroll option
ac3hw8.jpg

Here there is scroll option, and all the values are "+" again.
mkukxk.jpg

:confused:

Also installed the easy tune just to see if there is a Vcore option just like on the video, and there isn't.

More strange things:
My cpuz info this morning
cpuv.jpg

and now : (Core speed and multiplier changed, I didnt mess with them at all)
2d0gxtu.jpg

The HWmonitor and Everest now show a Vcore value of 1.39v :confused:

Last edited:
First of, Gigabytes list of supported CPU's for your motherboard does not include Phenom II X4 965 BE - http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2874
So that is maybe the problem.

Second in Easy Tune - TUNER-ADVANCED-VOLTAGE , it is really not there ?

The voltage and clock speed in CPU-Z changes probably because your power management in Windows is set on Balanced - meaning that the system adds voltage/clock speed depending on what you are doing atm. If you go to Power Options and set it on High Performance, it should run on stable 3.4 GHZ and on the current set voltage. However it increases power consumption.

To me your problem lies in the motherboard, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
First of, Gigabytes list of supported CPU's for your motherboard does not include Phenom II X4 965 BE - http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2874
So that is maybe the problem.

Second in Easy Tune - TUNER-ADVANCED-VOLTAGE , it is really not there ?

1) I was aware of this when I bought it, people stated online that the cpu works with rev 1.0 and the F8F BIOS. Gigabyte was putting the AM3/965 CPU support on and off the rev1.0_list for some time, so people tried it and saw that it works. (after all, maybe it does not? :( )

2)Yes, it's simply not there. I am in advanced tab, same path you noted.
34hgi80.jpg

Edit: Ah ok for the cpuz, thanks for the info.

Hm, maybe there is a misunderstanding here? Look the image from AMDOverdrive:
2mzli1c.jpg

Isn't that the Vcore? If so, it's ok isn't it?

But you are still on Balanced power management option - see the current CPU speed. It is undervolted/underclocked, because you are not running any demanding applications. If you set it on High Performance it will change - what i think you should do in case of getting the most acurrate readings.
After that you can lower the voltage in AMD Overdrive in the Voltage section, 1st slider CPU/ VID, set it on 1.350 and hit apply and see the temps while running prime95. However, from what I have heard, Overdrive is mostly used only to see the "walls" of your CPU before you start playing with it for real in BIOS.

BTW I am using the knowledge of others that has helped me in the past, the real pro's can give you a better advice for sure.

Last edited:
But you are still on Balanced power management option - see the current CPU speed. It is undervolted/underclocked, because you are not running any demanding applications. If you set it on High Performance it will change - what i think you should do in case of getting the most acurrate readings.
After that you can lower the voltage in AMD Overdrive in the Voltage section, 1st slider CPU/ VID, set it on 1.350 and hit apply and see the temps while running prime95. However, from what I have heard, Overdrive is mostly used only to see the "walls" of your CPU before you start playing with it for real in BIOS.

BTW I am using the knowledge of others that has helped me in the past, the real pro's can give you a better advice for sure.

Hehe, much appreciated mate. Currently I'm searching how to put it on High Performance.. I'm stuck now and not thinking clear :bang head . Really thanks for the time you spend on me, I really do appreciate it a lot.

I think I did it. Clocks up, slider to 1.35, temps are lowering, will update!

Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options after you set it, CPU-Z and Overdrive will show the 3.4Ghz clock all the time with the currently set voltage. Post the CPU-Z - CPU pic after you set the High Performance power management.

Just for the sake of comparison. I am running Phenom II X4 965BE on 1.3v with Arctic Freezer 13 cooler (which sucks as I learned yesterday) and when playing some music in WMP and browsing forums the temps are at 38-42C so your temps are not THAT bad . I am not saying mine or yours are ok :D. As long as they are between 56-62 you are good. I have not exceeded 57C under full 100% all cores while running Prime95 for 6 hours...

Last edited:
Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options after you set it, CPU-Z and Overdrive will show the 3.4Ghz clock all the time with the currently set voltage. Post the CPU-Z pic after you set the High Performance power management..
That was set on High Perfomance, I have it always like that.

-I clicked that green circle (on Overdrive pic next to preference button) and the CPU clocks and multiplier went back up.
-Pushed the slider down to 1.35v.

Seems that I m ~4-5°C cooler on idle..

Just for the sake of comparison. I am running Phenom II X4 965BE on 1.3v with Arctic Freezer 13 cooler (which sucks as I learned yesterday) and when playing some music in WMP and browsing forums the temps are at 38-42C so your temps are not THAT bad . I am not saying mine or yours are ok . As long as they are between 56-62 you are good. I have not exceeded 57C under full 100% all cores while running Prime95 for 6 hours...

Hm.. Ok then...Maybe then needs some more work on the cooler/thermal paste?.. I'm gonna try it of course when we see a dead end here!.. Yeah about your cooler, I've read that does not much more than the stock one (must be a bit better though! )

What I think you should do now is run a blend test in Prime95 with HWmonitor running as well to check the temps. Give it 10-20 minutes and then stop it in Test menu. If your temps wont exceed the 62 treshold you are good. If they do during the test, stop it.

If you pass the test, you should be ok and run Prime again for at least an hour or two to see the more acurrate numbers and stability. In my tests, usually the max temps during the 20 minutes of Prime95 are +/- 2C the highest even during longer tests.

..k will do this now and will edit/update this post later with the results!. Thank you Mitukczuk!

EDIT

After 16 minutes of blend test on Prime95(64bit):
258mc6c.jpg
The printscreen was taken seconds after I pressed STOP.

Most of the time the temp was at 57C, peaked at 59 once. At the momment all cores are at 41C.
Unfortunately I need to be away from home for a while, so will do the 1-2hrs test late at night/tomorrow morning :/

Will post again. I think we are more or less in the same situation, will be interesting to see how it goes and compare/improve our results!

:)

Last edited:
59 degs is ok, not optimal, but ok. However, I would recommend you buying a new motherboard and cooler.
During the 2+ hours Prime test watch the temps and post the same pic with Prime still running, just add CPU-Z so we know the voltage of that thing.

There is maybe an option enabled in BIOS that undervolts and underclocks your cpu to save energy when not doing anything demanding. But I don't know the name of it as it is in your BIOS, mine is Advanced Clock Calibration and I turned it off to maintain the highest clock speeds all the time. (With High performance power management) But there is no need to search for it if you will not exceed the 62C treshold and you don't plan any overclocking. In my case having it on only messed up the performance during gaming as it was dropping the clock speeds when I paused a game to get a drink for example.

I think I will improve my temps significantly on monday as my new cooler and better airflow case will arrive. Anyways I hope I helped you and don't forget to post the pic.

UPDATE : After moving all my components to a new case and changing cpu cooler (signature) I was able to lower my temps by almost 12C under load and by 5C on idle.

Max temps after half an hour Prime blend - 47C.

What that means is - I have nice 8+-C to play with = OC!!
Also it means Arctic freezer 13 sucks and Cases with better air management DO work, although I didn't believe it at first.

Great to hear mate,good news!
Yeah, the airflow varies a lot between cheaper and more expensive cases. Think that even 1 single fan in wrong position can mess up with your airflow, creating vortexes which don't allow the airflow to transfer the heat outside the case. So imagine what a wrong designed case could do.

Did you use two fans on the aluminium plates of the cooler?

My system has
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.4GHz
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 rev1.0
and this is my case: THERMALTAKE VC2000BNS MAMBO BLACK, with which I didn't have problems before.

I didn't have time to do my Prime tests, but I will have to change some hardware too for sure. Maybe will start with an up to date motherboard. Will update with prime tests(soon I hope).

Last edited:
I've just been reading this thread and wondered if when you are in you're bios and it only gives you the option to raise you're vcore , if you add the smallest amount, what is the value you are left with as I have had a lot of boards where auto is a lot more than the lowest setting and once you adjust it up .025 or whatever is the option it changes the vcore to a much lower amount than auto has it set to, meaning the plus values are adding the set amount to a starting value of say 1.00v and not the auto value. Try it and see if it lowers the vcore, I would guess it does

Nice thought!

I tried this selecting first the +0.025v option and then the 0.050v option. I had no way to see the Vcore changed in BIOS (searched all the categories, the initial Vcore value stayed constant) so after Saving and Exiting BIOS, logged into windows and opened CPUID HWMonitor.
Unfortunately the value of Vcore there went up both times, according to the volt-changes in BIOS.

What seems to work (but I have to do it everytime I log into Windows) is opening AMD Overdrive and lowering the Vcore from there. I set it at 1.300v and the temps stay at reasonable values.

I decided to buy the same cooler Mitukczuk did, COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO and see what happens. Seems that fits in my case (Thermaltake Mambo). I will also buy a fan to install at the front side of the case - wasn't necessary till now.

Last edited:
I have just had a look on the giga website and I found you're problem with the vcore option! You're board does not support the proc that you ate using, don't panic! It doesn't mean it won't work, it just means that they don't have a bios revision to support that or any am3 chips, but I like the way you have managed to overcome you're vcore problem "very intuitive" if a pain on every start up :thup:

I think the cooler is a really good choice for the price. Its getting pretty nice reviews.

Also, if you want to save few bucks, buy the non-EVO version CM Hyper 212+. They are almost identical except the fan. EVO cools a bit better though. As I said earlier, the cooler plus new case with big exhaust fan cooled my cpu by 12C+ during full load and with the addition of front intake fan and smaller intake fan on the side it allows me to overclock pretty nice while still being under 50C. (Gotta stick to a minimal OC though as my mobo needs upgrade)

Last edited:
Back