• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II & XFire what Chipset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Immortal_Hero

Building a system with a Phenom II X4 & 2 5770's. Which chipset should I go with?

Last edited:
the 890fx or the 790fx are great ones to go with the890 had the advatage of usb 3.0 and sata 3 too. performance is real similar as far as I can tell.

they both do you would need a bios update on older boards(if not already applied) to get them to work but the 890's should be ready for them right out of the box.

edit: iv seen some hwbot scores claiming that the 790fx's are better at ocing but that could be due too immature bios on the 890fx boards.

I second Pvt.Dancer including the comment about updating the 790FX BIOS to handle X6. Take note that the 890FX BIOS's are still relatively new and most, if not all, manufacturers are still working on them - nothing major but minor issues here and there seem common ...

Hummmm.... glad I asked, I was going to spend a lot more on an 890 board. Guess 790 is good enough (maybe better!)...

If you get the X6 chip with a 790FX board you will need some way to update the BIOS before you can install the X6. Not trying to scare you away or anything just don't want you to be stuck in a Catch22 ...

No I'm going for an X4 now. Just thought an X6 might be a nice upgrade later once their prices drop.

Back