• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom is Here Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you guys read Hard[OCP]'s review of the entire platform. They sure know how not to pull any punches. :eek:

I thought it was an abrasive yet fair review. The 790FX platform looks like a champ if only the CPU were better.

I thought it was an abrasive yet fair review. The 790FX platform looks like a champ if only the CPU were better.

and not only that but this is based on a review that the person might not have had the right solution to be able to run the cpu correctly...

My guess is one the newier reversions come out we will see a difference with the better chips and new-er boards...

I dunno jon, if the main-board is good and looks like a mature product, i don't see how clocking up or benching the CPU can be a problem. But, as you said, hopefully AMD can roll out more competitive solutions in 08.

I heard that about every stepping so far and never turned out to be true, now the latest one is if the recall bug is fixed the cpu is gonna be 10% slower.

I wonder who makes up that 80% of the market which uses Intel.

A little context jump there. It's a speculation. AMD does have a problem but I've seen fab news show where a problem chip gets tweaked and suddenly jumps in yield. If a later stepping does pan out, it's possible that cache latencies could drop, leakage improvements or other changes could improve what is holding it back. I know from experience that this probably will not be the case with the 65nm being stuck at 2.6G max where only good ocers pumping them up to 3G and higher.

BTQ the second quote is not mine ;)

Did you guys read Hard[OCP]'s review of the entire platform. They sure know how not to pull any punches. :eek:

I have to agree and Tom's did a fair review on the platform also though some are arguing over the results. Either way they both show AMD getting it's as5 handed to the wolves in benches. The good thing is we know where it all stands and can just move on and keep watching to see what comes next. I didn't mention Anands quip with the other two as he only put out a rant not a review and I'm still defending myself on his Intel sponsored board.

BTW wheres OCHungry, someone thought I was he?

Last edited:
A little context jump there. It's a speculation. AMD does have a problem but I've seen fab news show where a problem chip gets tweaked and suddenly jumps in yield. If a later stepping does pan out, it's possible that cache latencies could drop, leakage improvements or other changes could improve what is holding it back. I know from experience that this probably will not be the case with the 65nm being stuck at 2.6G max where only good ocers pumping them up to 3G and higher.

BTQ the second quote is not mine ;)

The quote was from the guy right above my post that's why your name wasn't in the quoted field.

The way I see it they plan to bring in 45nm asap and 65nm is really for servers, desktop is just sidekick. While faster revs will come out for sure I do not expect lower latency etc that's what deneb is for.

Because my mobo won't accept deneb and if I had to buy a new mobo would be Intel, I really hope they have trouble with that 45nm and need to do few better 65nm steppings so I can get something which at least comes close to an OCd Q6600.

AMD is gonna have to give these chips away with their graphics cards to convince any person of common sense to build with either.

not true...

I'm gonna laugh my ares off when all these people have put about a grand in there mobo/cpu combo and when amd is done you will be able to get 95% of the same performance for about 25-40% of the cost...

If AMD can only get these procs. to 3GHz and sell them at Q6600 prices, there just might be some incentive for a few fanboys to buy. What a damn disappointment!!!

What so disappointing I like my DC 170 set-up just fine I never went to am2 so who says am2+ is on my road anyways :D

I have to agree and Tom's did a fair review on the platform also though some are arguing over the results. Either way they both show AMD getting it's as5 handed to the wolves in benches. The good thing is we know where it all stands and can just move on and keep watching to see what comes next. I didn't mention Anands quip with the other two as he only put out a rant not a review and I'm still defending myself on his Intel sponsored board.

BTW wheres OCHungry, someone thought I was he?

I just skipped all the text on that review. :bday:

I heard that about every stepping so far and never turned out to be true, now the latest one is if the recall bug is fixed the cpu is gonna be 10% slower.

I wonder who makes up that 80% of the market which uses Intel.

I didn't say most people buy AMD PC's. I said most store at the moment are selling AMD PC's. There is a difference. More people own PC's than Mac's, but Mac's are outselling PC's like crazy right now.

I didn't say most people buy AMD PC's. I said most store at the moment are selling AMD PC's. There is a difference. More people own PC's than Mac's, but Mac's are outselling PC's like crazy right now.

Really? Are you saying most stores are selling AMDs period... or more AMD PCs than Intel PCs?

By 'Mac' do you mean the British slang for raincoat?

Most physical retail stores cater for the bottom to low end of the market, hence their flogging low end X2s and even the odd Sempron. Not that many Dell machines are AMD and less than half of HP Compaq's are.

Back