• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pick a memory kit for me...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
...and how would I know that you borked and posted in the wrong thread? I was just trying to help out what appeared to be you needing it from your reply. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I didn't reply to the wrong thread, I just thought he had an AMD system for a second.

What I said still applied, nowhere was it stated the FSB that he was going to run, and even with my thinking being wrong about AMD you never stated about overclocking to 400 FSB to achieve 1:1.

87tdna, please stop... this is silly. Im not going to argue with you like a child. It was a misunderstanding on your part. It is just that simple no big deal. You should be able to understand why I replied that way with your mistake, yes? Now please, stop. If you want to continue this bickering you can PM me. But lets keep this thread on topic ehh?

Well then it would probably be a better thing since you are overclocking to get the DDR2 1066. At least that way you can assure yourself you wont be running outside the ram specs.

But as far as not overclocking, save $5 and get DDR2 800.

You dont get it. Like I have said in my post, there is no real performance gains from running your memory that fast. It shows in synthetics but barely anything else. Its all over the net my friend, please look around.

EDIT: I just saw your ninja edit in there about your experience. First of all, Your CL went down as well as a 200Mhz jump in performance, thats why your "butt dyno" made it feel like a difference.

It doesnt make much of a difference. Im not blowing smoke, Im telling you my findings and the majority of the net. It sure doesnt do anything for gaming for most genre's. Think of it this way. You have a garden hose spouting 1GPM, change the garden hose to a fire hose but leave the output the same you still have 1GPM. Just b/c the pipe gets bigger doesnt mean data will miraculously move faster through it. I hope that helps.

Hell if it's only $5 I truly have no idea whay you are suggesting 800 at all, I said $10 difference.

I'm done arguing but I just wanted to point out your analogy is crap. The DDR2 memory controller in the CPU can do 21.6 gb/s or something like that, there is no cork or ''output the same size'' like in your analogy. I've never seen ram maxxing out the bandwidth in the controller, I'm sure it's been done but not even close with this hardware we're talking about.

Since he has plans for overclocking, you even agree that he should get 1066 ram anyway. So thats that.

1066 is what I would suggest also since he stated he is overclocking "not a whole lot" . For those that dont overclock, there is NO POINT in getting 1066 ram.

There are no real gains in gaming, that has been proven. I have asked at countless forums now for someone, ANYONE to prove to me what REAL WORLD benefits running your memory faster than FSB has to offer. Nobody replied with anything concrete. Some Evereest Memory bandwidth tests (synthetic) show improvements but what does that mean? Does it mean you boot faster? Rip faster? Encode faster? Render faster? Nobody has stepped up to the plate (including myself) to prove/disprove that point. And though I value your opinion, your results are not quantifiable or empircal so I cant trust that opinion. I need to see something concrete and not "butt dyno" experiences. 87, I hope you take the challenge and prove me wrong. The LAST thing I want to do is share the wrong information.

Again, I hope you understand and I hope the OP can take this information a bit and run with it as well.

Last edited:
I understand. Give me some specific examples of programs you want me to use for testing and I'll give it a shot it my spare time.

Getting some strange results here. System hangs after aprox 4 minutes, doing memtest 86+
Noticed that it seams the motherboard is pretty much incapable of running the memory at it's "supposed" speeds. Remember, DDR2 4200, so memtest should read 266MHz. It reads 333MHz, and well, the POS memory most likely cant handle that.
So, threw out the Dane electric memory in favor of a pair of Hynix hymp564u64p8-c4 ab-a (Hynix FP-C4)
With 2.1v they should do 400MHz, and then some. Still hangs. Now I'm out of ideas.
Can the motherboard simply be asking for to much of the memory? I mean, it is pushing it a bit, even if i know the Hynix FP-C4 is supposed to do 4-4-4-12 at DDR800 @ 2.1v.
(Funny thing is i get NO errors, just hangs.)
B!

Edit
Done some tinkering. I think I've figured out whats going on, but there isn't a thing i can do about it until i tear down one of the in use systems. And i cant / wont do that until i am ready to put this system in use.
I figure I'm simply over the limit for what the PSU can power reliably. Chieftech PSU, sold with a rack case, so a step up from the cheap one you get with the regular cases, but still only 204w on 2 12v rails combined. (15&17A each, and max total 204w)
So i guess i don't got any answers until the middle of next week anyway. Seams the common ground is approx PC8500 for some OC headroom, so I'll go with that.
/Edit

Last edited:
I understand. Give me some specific examples of programs you want me to use for testing and I'll give it a shot it my spare time.

Gah, I thought ya were done arguing, hehe.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227453

still have a couple sticks of 1200 OCZ BLADE LV havent even been using lately I guess, the above pretty nice ram for the most part sold out again it looks.

Actually what bob put up there is about the same thing and a good price and in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-PC2-8500-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247868628&sr=8-1

Lots of peeps swear by the GSkills too I guess.

Last edited:
Back