• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pick Up Where I left Off . . . . New setting now for Win 10 v1809 .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Soooo M$ moved the so called pick up where I left off setting from Cortana to a new place. It is now in the Settings Window under "Accounts" then click on "Sign-in Options. At this point scroll to the bottom of the right hand pane under Privacy and turn "OFF" the Feature that starts out with "Use my sign-in info to automatically ....." This setting is now the new 'pick up where i left off'.

Z

PS: In other news it seems the prefetch/superfetch 'Services' is/are now called "SysMain" (For those using SSD's)

Last edited:
Networked hibernation? Just think, if it was like a smartphone you would barely ever even turn it off.

I am seriously hoping that windows changes alot of whats its done through 8 and 10. I just feel after seven their upgrades have been going backwards, not in terms of the actual operating systems abilities but just compared to what we expected from them. I hate mac but everyday i start seeing why more people are making the switch.

You are talking to me as if i am mac fanboy, let me clarify that i am most certainly not. Security, a much tighter cohesion between hardware and software. In what i do design and development it is better, it grates me to even say it. Macs multitasking features are above and beyond. Windows has its good bits too, which is why i still use it today. All im saying it from 7 onward the upgrades where not anywhere near MY expectations. I mean i still have a pc running on 7, its better than my asus running on 10. I certainly dont want to start another endless debate on which is better. People should use what suits them, price, usability, functionality even "social status". Im not for and against either.

I wasn't talking to you in any such way (RE: fanboy). I am simply surprised to hear you say people leave Windows for Mac without a reason like doing it for graphics design which Macs do well with. ;)

And I asked what are those(YOUR) expectations? Windows versions are falling short of "expectations" was mentioned twice now, but I am not sure what expectations that have apparently been disappointing. What has Mac OSs changed that met expectations in their iterations? Just looking for some details is all. :)

Last edited:
Well ok let me put it this way. I see windows 10 as a operating system that way to heavy on cpu's ( maybe i have a crappy setup ), too demanding with updates ( coming from a country that has the second highest data rates in the world ). The interface of it imo has not improved since seven ( Maybe i am used to seven and dont want to change ) . Things that were once easy to change are now hidden in a plethora of unnecessary menus ( Like turning off auto updates lol ). Ironically this is one of the reasons i despise mac. I just think it could have been done better is all. What has mac done? i told you im not a mac fanboy, so i cant say with 100% certainty, but they seemed to have kept their os constant added features dont stray too far from the core of their design. Bloatware is non existent, while with Windows ten its in abundance. Maybe I am getting old and resistant to change like those people i used to laugh at for saying how windows lost it after 95 and XP. I used to think yea its only because thats what YOU grew up with, maybe its the same case here :-/

Ok gotcha. I have to disagree with it being too heavy on a system (no idea what you are running as you do not have a signature listing hardware). It does use more resources (RAM for example - but uses it more inelligently than in the past) but, I wouldn't call it a hog personally.

As far as updates, not sure why you are DL updates across data and not your home service, but I hear you on the updates, FORCED updates, being annoying.

The interface is a love or hate thing... but there are ways to change it to match 7 as well. W8-W10 has essentially been kept constant as well IMO.

What do you consider bloatware in Windows?

Thanks for sharing some of the details that formulated your opinion! :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Good info!

Do you have a link to this and other changes we can look through?

I managed to stumble across this after realizing the feature had been reset to "on". Im sure there are other things to yet be uncovered but at this time this one was the one that stood out to me. Im still digging around to see what else has changed/been removed/replaced. (Also added info related to prefetch/superfetch and SSD's)

Z

Bloatware is non existent in Windows 10 when you build your own system.

My complaints about the Windows 10 updates are only two:
1. They often break things (usually fixed in the next round of updates)
2. They are not substantive. I hate it when they make all these changes that are mostly cosmetic or to add features that are not used by most people. I wish they would just leave it alone except for security updates.

MS is on a mission creep to essentially use your OS in a similar fashion to google's everything google tunnel vision approach (who controls what game of bs). Google, once the bastion of "Freedom", now just another *****monger of data with the settings permanently buried beyond the average user's reach. At least with a pc you can build it yourself. If MS had their way, they would be exactly like google and you would not have any control at all. Kinda like apple.

Well ok let me put it this way. I see windows 10 as a operating system that way to heavy on cpu's ( maybe i have a crappy setup ), too demanding with updates ( coming from a country that has the second highest data rates in the world ). The interface of it imo has not improved since seven ( Maybe i am used to seven and dont want to change ) . Things that were once easy to change are now hidden in a plethora of unnecessary menus ( Like turning off auto updates lol ). Ironically this is one of the reasons i despise mac. I just think it could have been done better is all. What has mac done? i told you im not a mac fanboy, so i cant say with 100% certainty, but they seemed to have kept their os constant added features dont stray too far from the core of their design. Bloatware is non existent, while with Windows ten its in abundance. Maybe I am getting old and resistant to change like those people i used to laugh at for saying how windows lost it after 95 and XP. I used to think yea its only because thats what YOU grew up with, maybe its the same case here :-/

I agree with these two assertions. From an end user perspective, the learning curve introduced by Apple's updates and upgrades are minimal compared to Windows. Things stay put pretty much where they have always been. Changes are more subtle but also more substantive, like moving to a new and better file system in High Sierra. Microsoft is still using the same file system (NTFS) it has for many years.

I don't understand what you mean, Gimli, by asserting that Windows has a bloatware problem. Bloatware is non existent in Windows 10. PC manufacturers put all the bloatware on. If you build your own it's not a problem. But maybe you mean something different when you use the term bloatware than I do.

I work with business clients and what I see is that some are thinking about mac but they can't move anyway as most software requires windows. I had even colleagues who were working in graphics (like professional 3D studio) and they didn't want mac, they wanted new windows based PC (they had mac but couldn't run all their software and had to switch computers).
One thing I can't understand is why so many people complain about Win10. They have an OS which works like it should (for most of the time), most people that I know are barely using anything else than 1-2 programs and web browser and they still say that previous windows was better or anything like that. Nothing was really better and many things were exactly the same but they hear from others that Win10 is so bad so they say that too.

PS: In other news it seems the prefetch/superfetch 'Services' is/are now called "SysMain" (For those using SSD's)

I hope that this option is enabled as default. I wasn't checking it on fresh OS.

I work with business clients and what I see is that some are thinking about mac but they can't move anyway as most software requires windows. I had even colleagues who were working in graphics (like professional 3D studio) and they didn't want mac, they wanted new windows based PC (they had mac but couldn't run all their software and had to switch computers).
One thing I can't understand is why so many people complain about Win10. They have an OS which works like it should (for most of the time), most people that I know are barely using anything else than 1-2 programs and web browser and they still say that previous windows was better or anything like that. Nothing was really better and many things were exactly the same but they hear from others that Win10 is so bad so they say that too.

I hope that this option is enabled as default. I wasn't checking it on fresh OS.

It is in fact on by default. Some ppl suggest turning this off to extend the life of your SSD. (YMMV)

Z

I can't speak to Apple's current "security", but when those claims first started making the rounds ("Apple's OS is more secure than Windows!") it was nonsense. 80+% of the computers in the world run a M$ OS. If you're going to design malware, which OS are you going to concentrate your efforts on? It was hit less because it's almost irrelevant on the pie chart of OS adoption globally.

I can't speak to Apple's current "security", but when those claims first started making the rounds ("Apple's OS is more secure than Windows!") it was nonsense. 80+% of the computers in the world run a M$ OS. If you're going to design malware, which OS are you going to concentrate your efforts on? It was hit less because it's almost irrelevant on the pie chart of OS adoption globally.

That's only part of it. Apple OS is in the unix family and inherently more secure.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Exactly!

Yeah, not so much. Some of the recent malware and security flaws for OSX. It's no more "secure" against a determined attack than Winders. Maybe less. The US Navy managed to get XP locked down so tight they still use it. LOL

M$ Word Macro viruses

Goto fail bug

Meltdown and Spectre

Safari-get

OSX/Pirrit

OSX/MaMi

OSX/Dok

OSX/Shlayer

Fruitfly

X-agent

MacDownloader

KeRanger