• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picked up a B-Stock EVGA GTX970 Superclocked+ ACX2.0 for $250

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
I saw a deal on a recertified GTX970 that was well within my budget and decided to give it a whirl. Here is some information for folks looking to go the B-Stock route.

My only objective is to see how far I can push this card on air. I am NOT shooting for any records or scores based on heavy optimization. This is just a test of everyday use scenarios with a few (old) games that I play.

First, a few pricing details,
  • Base cost $249.99
  • Tax + Shipping $24.99
  • Total ~$275

Next, details about the card:

The card did not come with any accessories, which is perfectly fine as I have a ton of residual stuff from older cards.

The packaging and the card itself. Apart from a smidgen of dust on the edge, there was no other clue that this card was used. The HSF was clean and looked brand new.

2015-08-11 14.17.22-min.jpg 2015-08-11 14.16.15-min.jpg 2015-08-11 14.15.06-min.jpg 2015-08-11 14.15.26-min.jpg

My test system (kept at stock settings)
  • i5 4670K
  • 32 Gb DDR3, 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • ASUS Maximus Hero
  • EVGA GTX 970 SC+ ACX2.0
  • ASUS 750Ti (Old card, using for PhysX)

5xinwd.png

I'm going to use MSI Afterburner to overclock and 3DM Firestrike to test (unless you guys want me to do something else).

Without touching voltage, I could start with:
  • Core +120 MHz
  • Mem +420 Mhz
  • Max Temp 64 C.
  • Firestrike scores increased from a stock of 9602 to 10274.

130MHz core gave me a black screen.

What are the boost clocks ending up at? Sounds like it overclocks fine.
Core boosts to 1494 when set at +115. Temps are well under control at 61 C. I am gaming at +115/+420 right now. Mem at +500 gives a black screen. I've not touched core voltage yet. I wonder if the ASUS Strix software is any better than MSI Afterburner? I would like to increase the power limits. So far, this card is clocking quite well for a $250 base price. :)

I have the same card that was purchased new. Stock, it didnt clock very well at all for a gtx 970. With a bios flash it came around and is rather nice and works into the mid 1500's on core but memory comes up short of 2000.

Could try the EVGA precision software to see if it gives you any additional control options.

Core now boosts to 1500+ with about 30mV and Mem is at +500MHz (2003). I guess it was the core that was responsible for the black screen. I'm gonna try PrecisionX and report back. Thus far, I am surprised with this card. I expected B-Stock to be complete lemons. On another note, is there any compelling reason to bother with AMD cards these days? Looks like the 9 series from NVidia have pretty much thrown the hammer on AMD on price and performance.

Not much of one, only if looking in the used market the R9 290 and R9 290x are still very good price/performance especially in crossfire (assuming crossfire is supported for whatever game is desired to be played). The R9 3** series are mediocre overall compared to nVidia's offerings and the R9 Fury(x) win a couple battles but mostly lose out at the same price point as the 980/ti cards. If the FuryX was $100 cheaper it would be a little easier to recommend, but that's not going to happen any time soon I imagine.

Nvidia Inspector ;)

Only overclocking tool I use on Nvidia. Lets one tweak driver settings for games too.

I'm using NVI for driver tweaks, but the OC part seems to be the same as other utilities. Has anybody here flashed an FTW BIOS on to a regular SC card?

These cards are about the same, only different BIOS.
Actually best is to make your own BIOS as you can tune everything on your own. I wouldn't use any magical BIOSes from around the web as other users have different ASIC and in most cases it won't run stable ( card will boost too high or too low or will crash in 3D ).
On air/water you can reach ~1550-1650MHz on most GTX970. It's the limit for about every GTX970 on the market if you use the right BIOS ( there are single exceptions ).

I'd drop the 750TI. It uses up to 230 watts, compared to the 970 that uses up to 150 watts. The 970 alone has more then enough power in it for physx games without greatly affecting your fps.

I'd drop the 750TI. It uses up to 230 watts, compared to the 970 that uses up to 150 watts. The 970 alone has more then enough power in it for physx games without greatly affecting your fps.

No way that GTX970 uses up to 150W ... at full load these cards hit 180W on stock settings. Manufacturer's declared TDP is never the same as real usage. Also 750Ti has 60W TDP looking at nvidia site.

Regarding ASIC, my 2xGTX970 GB WF3 had 70% and 72% and could make ~1550-1580 pretty stable. GTX970 GB which I got from friend to test tri-sli was 85% ASIC ( about max you can get ) and can make 20-30MHz higher clock and up to 1650MHz in 3DMarks on custom water.

You are correct. I probably came up with a 760(780?) vs 960 link in my search. Still, that extra wattage should not be needed just for Physx purposes. Even the heaviest Physx reliant games are a couple of years old. BL: The Pre-sequal is the only recent one I can think of off the top of my head making extensive use of Physx.

Yup, GTX970 can easily handle physx without additional cards or visible performance drop.

These cards are about the same, only different BIOS.
Actually best is to make your own BIOS as you can tune everything on your own. I wouldn't use any magical BIOSes from around the web as other users have different ASIC and in most cases it won't run stable ( card will boost too high or too low or will crash in 3D ).
On air/water you can reach ~1550-1650MHz on most GTX970. It's the limit for about every GTX970 on the market if you use the right BIOS ( there are single exceptions ).

What is the ASIC quality on the card anyway Nade?

No way that GTX970 uses up to 150W ... at full load these cards hit 180W on stock settings. Manufacturer's declared TDP is never the same as real usage. Also 750Ti has 60W TDP looking at nvidia site.

Regarding ASIC, my 2xGTX970 GB WF3 had 70% and 72% and could make ~1550-1580 pretty stable. GTX970 GB which I got from friend to test tri-sli was 85% ASIC ( about max you can get ) and can make 20-30MHz higher clock and up to 1650MHz in 3DMarks on custom water.

GPUz reports it at 72%. So I guess it is the lower end of the OC spectrum. I presume you guys are using Kepler BIOS Tweaker to edit your BIOS? I used it on my 750Ti. Anything specific I should be aware of with the 970 BIOS? Did bumping VCore help, at all? It sure would be nice if we have a thread with results for easy reference. :)

Edit: This card has a dual BIOS and I am definitely going to play around to extract every last dollop of performance. *Rubs hands in anticipation* :D
Also, I'm going to hang on to the 750Ti as a backup card. Not really sure what else to do with it? Do you guys think I should pull it out as it seems pretty useless anyway?

Last edited:
Maxwell BIOS Tweaker :) I recommend small steps and each time test how card is acting. Every card regardless of ASIC may act slightly different.
Bumping vcore helps a little. Actually it won't work above ~1.29V or maybe you won't see any difference. On some cards OCP/OVP will turn on at about ~1.31V. I don't know if on all is the same.
72% is not bad. The worst are about 58%. As I said, 72% let me OC my card to about 1580MHz and for short tests above 1600 but I can't say it was 100% stable as I was mainly testing it in benchmarks. Maybe it will be stable for you, hard to say.

I used a bios from another well known forum and it worked as advertised. the asic on both of my cards is 72 and 74

Maxwell BIOS Tweaker :) I recommend small steps and each time test how card is acting. Every card regardless of ASIC may act slightly different.
Bumping vcore helps a little. Actually it won't work above ~1.29V or maybe you won't see any difference. On some cards OCP/OVP will turn on at about ~1.31V. I don't know if on all is the same.
72% is not bad. The worst are about 58%. As I said, 72% let me OC my card to about 1580MHz and for short tests above 1600 but I can't say it was 100% stable as I was mainly testing it in benchmarks. Maybe it will be stable for you, hard to say.

There is also Maxwell II BIOS Tweaker. Did you use this or is there no difference between the two? I am probably a day late and a dollar short, but hey the anticipation is still exciting. :)

I used a bios from another well known forum and it worked as advertised. the asic on both of my cards is 72 and 74

Which one? From here?

Back