• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning a Watercooling upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skull rebell

Hello All, I'm new to overclockers and plan on upgrading my current system to Liquid Cooling so i can get better performance, currently i'm running a

I5. haswell 4670k
1tb WD Black hdd
2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600
Asus GTX780 Direct 2 CUoc
2 kingston 60gb SSD
Asus CD/dvd drive
sunbeam pl-rs-6 fan controller optical drive bay
Asus Xonar Ds
seasonic g-750 ssr 750rm
Corsair H80i
Asrock z87 Pro3

I Am thinking of running 1 120mm rad and a 240mm rad , cpu block, dual 5.25'' drive pump res combo, and gpu block I just have no idea on rez thickness that would appropriate for my case as I'm building in a Cooler-master, HAF Evo XB, I also plan on removing the drive bay and swapping the fan controller for some molex connector adapters.

I plan on using compression fittings or quick release fittings, If i could get some product recommendations, tips, and Ideally i want to run the coolant, close to Nvidia green or use dark green tubing.

Thank you and cant wait to learn more here on overclockers

Welcome to OCFs Skull!

Please take your time and read up our water cooling stickies in yellow up top in this section. It should clarify a few things and explain not just the basics but also the need for maintenance and than some.

Need to fill you with knowledge first before taking the dive. It is well worth it and you'll be thankful in the end.

Hope to hear from ya soon. :salute:

Ive been researching further, and I so far know in terms of coolant it will be pt nuked distilled with some sort of dye, im trying to decide between, the FrozenQ Liquid Fusion Dual Bay - Black Acetal w/ Green Helix or the Koolance RP-452X2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir for 1-2 PMP-450/S D5 Pumps Rev 2.0 so far, and have figured my layout to be Rez to pump to 120mm to cpu to 240 to gpu to rez but still so many unknown items to try., any reccomendations in thicknesses in rads should 30mm thick be enfough? I'm trying to keep them as thin as possible as the h80I is very tight with fans mounted on it which i think with the liquid cooling i will be able to remove the 200mm fan i have on top.
Ive decided on a Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Brass Black Chrome Water Block and a d5 pump of some sort , just have no idea on the fittings, gpu waterblock,

Last edited:
I hope you know the consequences of dyes. We recommend distilled water with a silver kill coil or PT nuke is fine and colored tubing if you want color otherwise you'll need to tear down the loop every couple months to keep it clean. Your stuff will eventually stain and possibly clog up if not maintained properly. Its more a pain in the wazoo but that is up to you.

Since you bought the case already, my advise will be since I am not too familiar with case and it does look tight to work with is look at other build logs and grab some ideas from those that have dealt with this case since it will save you money and headaches down the road on figuring what can fit.

There are many other bay reservoirs you could chose from. Me personally, I'd stay away from FrozenQ from personal experiences. I would advise taking a look at the Monsoon Series Two Dual Bay Reservoir with either a DDC MCP-35x pump combo or a D5 or a literally just released Swiftech Maelstrom V2 Dual Bay Reservoir with the MCP50X pump.

Also, make sure your GPU has a compatible full block for it at this site.

As for CPU blocks a Swiftech XL or a XSPC Raystorm are great performers and best priced.

I agree most likely you'll need a thin radiator but it all depends what FPI you're willing to go with.

Here's another great site for more information on different products.

so this is the list so far Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Brass Black Chrome, Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 120mm, Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm , swiftech maelstrom v2 with mcp50x pump, ek fc-780 gtx dc II backplate and gtx780 ti DCII nickel, green tubing not sure what size diameter, a t fitting to add a fill port because the top fill port is not going to be accessible when in case, compression fittings 12 black not sure how to pick fittings because i haven't decided on tube dimensions, and using distilled water and ph nuke, or anti conductive coolant due to this being a first time job.

Back